Rachel's Reviews > The Wind Blows Backward

The Wind Blows Backward by Mary Downing Hahn

Dec 01, 14

bookshelves: ya, i-read-it-more-than-once

I'm giving this five stars, not for how I might read it now, but for how I read it in sixth grade.

Spencer? SWOON. Like, five-stars swoonerific. Be still my eleven-year-old heart.

Seeing this book also makes me think I need to start laying off making fun of the Twilight tweens. As far as obsessive, co-dependent love goes, Stephanie Meyer's characters pale (hahaha, pun) in comparison. But seeing this book makes me realize that I did indeed find that terribly romantic when I was a tween, so I need to stop being so crotchety about these things.

Plot is simple: moody, swoonerific bad-boy track star Spencer falls in love with shy, insecure, bookish Lauren. (SWOON) Spencer rescues Lauren from bullying classmates. (SWOON) Lauren rescues Spencer from his darker side. (SWOON) And they have sex. Lots and lots of sex. (TRIPLE SWOON) I think this might have been my first sex scene. Aw. If you don't count Flowers in the Attic. And honestly, no one should count Flowers in the Attic.

I honestly can't say what it would be like reading this book as an adult. But I'm swooning just thinking about it.

Did I mention there's sex????

*Update* Having now re-read this book for the first time since I was eleven, all I can think is WHAT kind of morose, twisted eleven year old was I to think this was romantic??? DEAR GOD. I'm standing by my rating, because I remembered it as a 5-star book, but dear God. DEAR GOD. Twilight looks positively healthy next to this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind Blows Backward.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robyn You've cracked me up again, Rachel! But do you recco an adult like me (in years only) read it?? I just finished "The Help" and loved it. But I could go for some twisted fantasy to change it up a bit.

Rachel Oh God, I do not know if I should be encouraging people to read this book. It was not as good as I remembered. Although it'll only take you a couple hours, so it's not like you'll lose that much of your life by reading it. I remembered it being much more romantic than it actually was--or maybe that was my idea of romance when I was 11, clearly a rather twisted 11-year-old. Also, there was NOT as much sex as I remembered. (Again, I was 11, and this was my first book with sex in it. So I remembered it being FULL of sex, when in reality...not so much.) But read at your own risk! It IS entertaining. I'll be interested to know what you think. I think if I had read it only as an adult, my review would have been one line: OH FOR GOD'S SAKE.

message 3: by MAP (new) - rated it 5 stars

MAP AHAHA I also read this at 11, it was my first sex scene, and I totally saw it as a romantic book. I only realized years later that the book was written for like 15-17 year olds, not middle schoolers! Oops.

message 4: by Kara (new)

Kara Great review! Thank you so much for your update. I've been thinking about re-reading it and will now leave it to glow softly inside the heart of my inner 14-year-old.

Lilly Demelo Oh my god you summed up all my feelings! I got the book from the library. I'm trying to find a way to get my hands on it again!

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Lazer I agree with everything you said about this book! I remember reading it at almost the exact same age and not seeing anything wrong with the relationship. In fact, SWOON pretty much sums up my reaction at the time.