Sarah's Reviews > Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes

F 50x66
Aug 16, 11

Read in July, 2011

I can't recommend this book highly enough. It's a much more accessible version of his 2007 book, Good Calories Bad Calories, which was so packed with details of research and researchers that my brain could absorb only a couple of pages at a time. (I tried to read it after find the new book so fascinating, but couldn't get through it.) In his new book he has recast his message in a more streamlined version.

Taubes shows how medical research (not to mention anecdotal evidence) does not and never has backed up the current party line of low-fat, low-calorie plans as the way to lose weight and avoid other 21st century health problems such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease. (NB: Atkins is vindicated.) He also investigates how we got to this point--how even a supposedly scientific, impartial body (the medical establishment) is just as prone as any other group to becoming invested and entrenched in certain ideas and blind to others, despite overwhelming evidence.

What's particularly fascinating to me is that he's not publicizing new research; the compelling evidence that sugar and refined carbs are the dietary evils of our time, NOT meats or saturated fats or even excess calories per se, has been repeated in study after study over the years. But the health profession is totally invested in saturated fats as the problem, and calories in/calories out as the solution. I have long believed this too, but I'm now totally intrigued by these other ideas.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Get Fat.