Carlo's Reviews > Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Darkness.

Laura that book's a trip. Conrad really put his thumb on something central to the western experiment.

message 2: by Carlo (new) - added it

Carlo Sorry Laura. My wife was signed in so I mistakenly commented first from her profile.

I was telling that I've hear a lot about this book but not sure when I'm gonna read it. Some people hate it and some love it.

Totally off the subject, I asked whether you've watched any documentary by Richard Dawkins?

Laura Yeah, it's not an easy book, either textually or thematically. There's a lot to dislike. I've read it at least three times and I can't say I've enjoyed the experience. But it's such a seminal text, it's worth reading. If only to understand Apocalypse Now!

I've watched a few things that Dawkins has been in; one about Bertrand Russell's teapot that I thought was charming, but I can't say I've seen any documentary he was behind. I like him a great deal, but sometimes his acerbic wit is just a little too biting for me, even when a small part of me is cheering him on. He reins that in in the books a lot more.

message 4: by Carlo (new) - added it

Carlo You encouraged me more to read it.

As for Dawkins, I've recently watched three of his documentaries: The Root Of All Evil, The Genius of Charles Darwin and The Enemies of Reason. They were absolutely great. I can honestly say he is a great intellectual. My wife is reading The God Delusion and she's totally fascinated by it. I just wanted to know what you did think about these documentary but no problem. I used to find his intellect biting a bit when I was a believer. We can discuss him when I hopefully read his book.