Jaykey del Mar's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Sep 20, 14

bookshelves: dnf

I stopped reading as soon as I reached Part Two. I can't take it anymore.
Not only is the pacing incredibly slow, the plot hazy and unfocused and the writing boring but the main character is a perfect example of Mary Sue. I am a big fan of feminist-driven books but Katsa...well, I'm not even sure if she is a feminist. She is borderline violent and angry. Sure, this could be forgivable. But I am not convinced with her development and I can't reconcile her traits with that any of her past.

Don't get me started with the writing. There's too much 'telling' and few 'showing'. It's dragging and most of the parts can simply be skipped. Believe me, it feels like it goes forever.

I'm sorry if it seems like I completely bashed this book, especially since most of the readers particularly like this. And I think my review did not do justice especially since I was unable to finish it. But that's just that---I can't bear to finish it. I just don't want to waste time when I can find another book that is actually worth my time.

There is a lot of potential in this book, I can say that much. It is original. But it is poorly executed. I just wished I could read another version of it. That way, I may not dislike this as I do now.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.