Vicky's Reviews > Before Versailles: A Novel of Louis XIV

Before Versailles by Karleen Koen

Aug 23, 11

Read from August 16 to 23, 2011

I waited for years for something new by Karleen Koen. Her first trilogy: "Dark angels", "Through a glass darkly" and "Now face to face" were my favourite historical novels for a long time. And finally came "Before Versailles: a novel of Louis XIV. For anyone who enjoyed Alexandre Dumas and his "The three musketeers", “The man in the iron mask" and "The Vicomte de Bragelonne" - this novel is a new adventure into the exciting era of France and the court of the Louis XIV. You meet your old friend D'Artagnan, you revisit the grand fetes at Fontainebleau where the king will fall in love with Louise de la Valliere and the mystery of the man in the iron mask will be revealed. Nicolas Fouquet will fall and the absolute monarchy under the Sun King will be born. At the beginning I thought that Dumas had written it all so spectacularly that we don't need another book. I tried to be critical at the beginning, but it did not last. The story about the brilliant young court with its intrigues and adventures captured my imagination to the last page.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before Versailles.