Mzm's Reviews > Waking with Enemies

Waking with Enemies by Eric Jerome Dickey

Apr 10, 08

Read in February, 2008

** spoiler alert ** So, I pick up the sequel at the library also- in a word the second book was disappointing. I mean I am a fan of gangland style, Mafioso antics but it just got too ridiculous. Gideon coming back from the dead after his murderer suffocated him and performed CPR?!?!?!?!?

Arizona (who was described as having a petite frame) surviving being dumped in the Thames and exacting revenge with a knife on a man probably twice her size? I don't know about all that. The thing that I really found somewhat “interesting”was the amount of gratuitous sex that took place in the sequel. Okay, I get that Gideon was raised by a mother who was a prostitute and he was exposed to some pretty perverse things in his life but damn. . .I mean is it even humanly possible to have that much repetitive sex in one night?

And the ending made no sense to me that the Reverend’s wife would put a contract out on him because she felt he cheated her out of $60,000 and then he spares her life and gives the money back?!?!?!? So, lemme get this straight Gideon is a good guy now and gets to take his two concubines and live happily ever after? Man, I didn’t even pay for the book and I felt robbed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking with Enemies.