Monica's Reviews > Songs in Ordinary Time

Songs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris

F 50x66
Apr 10, 08

Read in April, 2008

I've had this book sitting on my shelf for a long time, and was really looking forward to reading it. This was not a book that kept calling me back, so it took about a month to get through (which is unusual for me).

This is a story about the disfunctional Fermoyle family, and their quirky, misfit townspeople. The main storyline tells how Marie Fermoyle falls for a con-man, despite her hard, no nonsense attitude.

What I didn't like about this book: There were so many characters that I had a hard time keeping track of them. Also, the book was so long and had so many sub-plots, that some storylines were abandoned and unresolved at the end.

What I liked: The characters were all flawed, and I took pity on a few of them. Technically, it was a well written book. I felt like I was right there watching the scenes unfold. It was written in the third person, so you got to get into everyones head a little bit.

I'm not so sure I would recommend this book. I defintely would not pick it for my book club!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs in Ordinary Time.