Marge's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Aug 27, 11

Read in August, 2011

After the intensity of the Ice and Fire series, I expect this book to the very tame. So much has been said about this book so I know it will entertain me. Maybe It is just what I need to bring me down from the high of the amazing series.

I could have finished this book in 2 days. Instead it took me more than a week to get to the final page. I had a lot of distractions. First, I found online scrabble and second, I did not feel compelled to read on to find out what happens next. It's like living in the 60s where there was nothing much going on. However, when I got to the second half of the book, I did find myself wanting to know how this book was going to end. I was very sympathetic with the voices in the book: Aibileen, Minny and Skeeter. But more so with Aibileen and Minny, for all the hardships and worries that they faced on a day-to-day basis. I was initially mad at how Skeeter could be so clueless until I realized that although she was really kind at heart, she was raised in a place where segregation was embraced by the white folks and accepted by the black population who were so dependent on the whites for their livelihood.

While listening to Aibileen and Minny, I laughed, fumed, cried, got frustrated and angry, but most of all I felt everything that they felt.

Now I know what the fuss is all about, i can't wait to see the movie. Just by the casting alone, I think it will be good, and I expect to cry copiously as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angela Hope you are not disappointed. This was the best book I read in 2010.