Rebecca Huston's Reviews > Master and Commander

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master and Commander.

08/18/2011 page 48
13.0% "Great fun so far - I love the way that our heroes meet for the first time! And Jack finally has his ship." 9 comments
08/19/2011 page 208
58.0% "Why is it that I think something awful is going to happen to Dillon? And my goodness, does Mr. Aubrey really tie one on..." 2 comments
08/21/2011 page 356
100.0% "Whew, that was a ride! And I am going to be certain to be reading more of these." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karla Have you read this before? If not, enjoy. And if you have, enjoy again. :)

Rebecca Huston I read them ages ago, but this time, I indulged and got the very nice Folio Society editions (well, the first five books anyway). Oh yes, I do enjoy this series.

message 3: by Karla (last edited Aug 17, 2011 04:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karla That cover is extremely pretteh! Hard to screw up a sailing ship anyway IMO. They're all made of awesome.

Rebecca Huston The end papers are very detailed maps of where the story takes place, and there are several inserts of colour plates that illustrate scenes in the book, using period prints and portraits. And I am keeping my copies of A Sea of Words: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian, and Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels handy as I read them.

Karla Since I've been listening to them in the car and while working outside, I have to let the vocab slide and just go with it. :P

Have you also seen this website? It maps the voyages in each book