Dee's Reviews > A Vintage Affair

A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff

2088489
Aug 15, 11

Read in August, 2011

This was a lovely story and brought me to tears on a couple of occasions. I have always been a vintage shopper, although nothing quite as exquisite as the pieces that are sold in this shop. I've always shared the feeling with the main character about not just buying clothing, but about buying the history as well. A large part of my household is furnished with re-purposed items. I find the items and their possible stories very intriguing.

I loved how the author took the various threads of each story and was able to weave them together into one beautiful tale. The story of the elderly woman our heroine befriends breaks my heart. Her own personal story fits together with the woman's like a matching suit. This leads them both to a road of forgiveness and recovery. *spoiler* Having had a grandmother who escaped to America during the war made this story extremely emotional for me.

An added bonus? It all takes place in London! I wish there had been more of the main character's previous occupation where she was employed by Sotheby's and ran auctions. Or perhaps a prequel?

I enjoyed the author's writing so I plan to check out some of her many other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Vintage Affair.