Rowena's Reviews > The Eternal Husband

The Eternal Husband by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: art-of-the-novella, good
Read in August, 2011

i liked the concept of the 'eternal husband'.

it felt like velchaninov was only a hypochondriac up until he met pavel pavlovich, or maybe his strangeness just paled in comparison. the story was mostly unpredictable but i totally saw (view spoiler) coming. except i wasn't actually expecting him to say it!

it amused me that at several parts i was heavily reminded of crime and punishment, especially velchaninov's dream of lying on a sofa and having hoards of people come in and look at him.

i was kind of confused on their ages, because i calculated that velchaninov was around 34, but he was 50? what? ok

"'However tottering their social edifice may be, and whatever they may be trumpeting there,' he thought occasionally, lending an ear and eye to all the marvelous and incredible that was being accomplished around him and all over Russia, 'whatever people and thought may be regeneration into there, still I will always at least have this fine and tasty dinner which I'm now sitting down to, and thus I'm prepared for anything.'"
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eternal Husband.

Jbomb he was 34, the young kid mis guessed, and pavel was later quoting that age in jest. :)

Rowena Jbomb wrote: "he was 34, the young kid mis guessed, and pavel was later quoting that age in jest. :)"

ah, thanks! i definitely missed that!