David's Reviews > You've Been Warned

You've Been Warned by James Patterson

Aug 25, 11

bookshelves: international-thriller
Read in August, 2011

Trying to put this book into a genre is quite difficult. It is part science fiction, part mystery, part psychological thriller and part romance. Therein lies the problem with this book for me. It came across as a jumble of ideas that didn't quite gel together.

The main character is Kristin Burns, an avid photographer. She works as a nanny for Michael and Penley Turnbull’s two adorable children. The real trouble starts when she begins an illicit affair with the Michael, a successful banker, dreaming of course that Michael will someday leave Penley to marry her.

The novel then enters murky (wacky?) ground, with Kirstin beginning to have recurring nightmares about four murders at a hotel. Haunted by the possibility that her dream could actually be a reality she begins to photograph all that she sees in a bid to uncover the truth. Some of her photographs are unexplainable and include dead people, including her father.

Wacky becomes downright weird as the nightmares consume Kristin after a stranger in a club tells her to be careful, and that she’s “been warned.” She flashes between the real and the imaginary worlds and strives to separate the two.

As I read on, I was beginning to know how Kristin felt as she questioned her own sanity. Maybe I have just read too many James Patterson novels and have grown tired of them. I am not sure - unfortunately this novel was not my cup of tea and far from Patterson and company's best work. Read it at your own peril!
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You've Been Warned.