Amy's Reviews > Dead Until Dark

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

F_50x66
Jan 09, 12

Read from August 15 to December 30, 2011

I enjoyed the book, but in a guilty pleasures, sort of way. It is not well written, but it's quick and fun, mindless reading. Just for that it got 4 stars.

I do not like Sookie at all. I found her rather irritating right from the start. She will think something and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she should not say or do something and then she does exactly what she know is going to get her killed. Then she scratches her head and wonders why after falling in love with Bill her life has been on the line.

Sookie is built up in her own mind as being naive but in reality she is pretty knowing. I cannot remember how old she is but she acts like a spoiled high school girl with little world experience. In that she brings drama to her life and then whines about said drama. She loves Bill, she hates him, she's not talking to him, she cannot live without him - and over silly things that usually ruin most high school relationships.

Bill's pretty boring. His character is a take or leave it sort. Meaning Harris has done a very poor job of building this character. He is lifeless (not in the vamp sort of way), brooding, and really just blah.

The book seems filled with fluff, like Harris will describe the print of Sookie's dress or underwear in great detail that takes up an entire page. I really could care less what Sookie is wearing much less in such exaggerated detail. Use that exaggerated detail in character building.

Aside from the fluff to make the book longer, lack of love for Sookie or Bill's character, and feeling as if Harries built filler characters better than the main characters, the book is entertaining to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Until Dark.