Katie Stout's Reviews > Kiss of Frost

Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: from-publisher-for-review, mythology, kensington, paranormal-contemp
Read from August 19 to 24, 2011

Needless to say, when Jennifer Estep asked if I'd like an ARC of this book to review, I jumped at the opportunity. I really loved Touch of Frost, with its gritty urban fantasy feel and Gwen's snarky voice. And while I didn't devour this one as quickly as the first book, it was still a really good book!

Gwen is just as snarky, and I really like living inside her head. She has a fresh perspective on the Mythos world, almost like an outside observer. She can see the good and bad, along with the just completely strange. I was still a huge fan of Gwen in this installment. She gets tougher and takes a more central role in defending herself, but she was never a crazy superwoman. I liked that balance a lot.

Kiss of Frost revolves around Mythos Academy's yearly Winter Carnival, a weekend extravaganza where all the students go skiing and partying, and have lots of sex. But while this could have been a recipe for debauchery, I thought Estep's book was relatively tame. There's only one partying scene, and it was PG-rated. Actually, I was surprised, especially after some of the content from the previous book. So that was a nice surprise, though I did feel like this one lost some of its edgy appeal.

And how can I write a review without mentioning Logan? It's official. I've got a crush on this Spartan. We get to see more of his personality in this book, along with an important part of his past that he would like to keep a secret from everyone - especially Gwen. His and Gwen's relationship (or lack thereof) was pobably my favorite part of the book, just because it was so raw and angsty. (Who doesn't love some teen angst?!) The tension between them also heats up when both Logan and Gwen get rivals for each other's affections.

This is definitely a solid sequel for all the fans of the first Mythos Academy book. My only complaint was that the entire story pretty much took place within the span of one weekend. I know this is just personal preference, but I tend to prefer books that cover more time. This was one of my main issues with Wildefire, by Karsten Knight, (though I thought Estep sidestepped the creeping pace that Knight fell prey to so many times). I just wanted more to happen in more time. But if this kind of thing doesn't bother you, then you're good!

I also missed Daphne. She wasn't nearly as important in this book, I guess because Logan took a more prominent role. But the Valkyrie was one of my favorite characters, and I missed her sass and the pink sparks that flew from her fingernails. She and her fingernails made some appearances, but they weren't that important to the overall plot arc.

In regards to the cover, I pretty much love it. Reminds me a little of the Wicked Lovely cover, though we see more of the model's face than on the front of Melissa Marr's book. But the snow and ice really reflect not only Gwen and her name/heritage, but also the wintry setting. Love that!

Jennifer Estep's Kiss of Frost is a great urban fantasy! I can't wait to find out what happens with Gwen and the Reapers of Chaos. Definitely pick up this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Frost.

08/20/2011 page 148
40.0% "I should totally be reading other books but couldn't resist revisiting Gwen's world :)"
08/21/2011 page 213
58.0% "Not quite as edgy as the first one but still good."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Annie Brewer Great review!! I love this series! And of course, who can not love Logan?! Its Logan freakin Quinn!! :)

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* The next book, book 3, is my FAVE in this series. It makes up for book 2 being a little predictable and lack luster. Seriously loved the third book.

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Wait, I just noticed you posted this in August of 2011. Why is this just popping up on my update page, lol?

Katie Stout I think because I updated the rating maybe? Oops. lol