Susan's Reviews > The Night Strangers

The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian

Aug 16, 2011

liked it

Never having read Bohjalian before, this was not what I'd expected! At first I found the Jodi Piccoult-meets-Stephen King vibe a little uneven, or queasy, although that didn't stop me from turning pages into the night. By the end, I had to know what was going to happen. The story, which involves a haunted & traumatized pilot who survives a dramatic crash landing, a creepy Victorian house with secrets of its own, a set of young twin sisters, a cohort of small town, New England herbalists, well . . . it's quite an intoxicating blend of Gothic elements. This would be a great fall read for someone who likes a good, literate (albeit not fast paced) ghost story, well told, with plenty of atmosphere. Plot rather than character driven, the ending didn't disappoint. All in all, I'm surprised to say: I liked it, though I imagine it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Like many stories in the supernatural genre, it requires quite a bit of willing suspension of disbelief, in the best Coleridge tradition. I'd classify this as creepy and fulfilling, if not a bit disturbing.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Strangers.

Erin I'm a Bohjalian fan, and this sounds like it's a little different than his past books. If you're looking for another, I'd recommend Midwives. It is excellent!

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Also a Bohjalian fan, and if you also love The Great Gatsby, you have to read The Double Bind. About characters in Gatsby, (sort of).

Lisa The ending left me feeling confused, not sure what to think

message 4: by Xanthe (new)

Xanthe So odd to see previous negative reviews of this excellent book. One thing about Chris Bohjalian - he writes about women as well as any woman writing today. This is a sad, scary book - Excellent read - well, I didn't read it - I listened to the tape - and had to finish it off in two sittings. Compelling!

Chelsea Cripps Jodi Piccoult-meets-Stephen King vibe! Ha! That is a perfect description of this book!

Kerry Christian I agree...I was trying to put my finger on it. As a fan of both Picoult and King, I think you have nailed it! While superb styles independently, not so good smashed together...

Susan Thanks, Kerry -- like you, I'm a fan of both independently but just not (as you so perfectly say) smashed together. I think I will try Midwives, as that one seems to be highly recommended and I need to give Chris Bohjalian another go.

Kerry Christian I would recommend Bohjalian's Skeletons at the Feast. It was, to me, the best of his work.

Susan wrote: "Thanks, Kerry -- like you, I'm a fan of both independently but just not (as you so perfectly say) smashed together. I think I will try Midwives, as that one seems to be highly recommended and I ne..."

Susan Skeletons it is! Thanks for the recommendation, Kerry.