Julianna Helms's Reviews > Out of Sight, Out of Time

Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: bam-covers, best-boys, re-read-status, recent-favorites
Recommended to Julianna by: moi
Recommended for: fans of Ally Carter, the CIA, FBI, and other clandestine businesses
Read from March 13 to 14, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

4.25 stars!

Original is here. (Note: due to copy-and-paste, formatting and links have been lost.)

I needed something fun, and Out of Sight, Out of Time didn't offer me that. It offered me something more: melancholy and honesty.

Ally Carter will always have a special place in my heart. It is because of her that I traveled to the RT BookLovers Convention last year and fell in love with YA books. She has changed my life, literally. So even though I thought that Out of Sight, Out of Time was not the strongest book in the series--that it jarred in pacing between a dark and regretful voice and a fun and careless prose--those flaws, I am willing to overlook, because the story underneath is an absolute gem.

This book was magnificently filling. I guess I sort of felt like nothing truly happens, and let me explain myself before you start hitting me on the head with a club or whatnot: Dramatic twists are unraveled, clandestine mysteries are pursued, and this was just brilliant. But was there ever a time when I thought that, this, this is why the book absolutely had to exist?

Sadly, no.

I always ask myself that when I'm reading a later installment in a rather long series. I am so bipolar: I am telling you that this book was amazing, even though it did not wow me, nor did it shock me with its necessity. But the truth is, I don't know how else to say it. I guess I didn't really think I'd love this book and be disappointed both at once. I am, though: I am and all I can really think to say is that Ally Carter gave me the feeling you get when you gaze at the night full of stars, only to realize that there are less sparklers in the sky than the night before. The sky is still beautiful and bright, but it is not all-encompassing.

Out of Sight, Out of Time is an intricately weaved tale full of fabulously simple writing, complex twists, and a heart that runs miles deep beneath the pages. Find its beat, and that is where love is born.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Sight, Out of Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling You're my second friend in as many days who has posted raves about this series. Hmm...

Julianna Helms Wendy Darling wrote: "You're my second friend in as many days who has posted raves about this series. Hmm..."

They're amazing. :D I haven't read Deadly Cool, but I imagine that this is a similar voice--but only the first two or so books. The series starts out fresh and funnily serious, but as it progresses and things get... well, worse, it gets darker, but the humor is still there! :) You must read it!