Liz's Reviews > You Are Next

You Are Next by Katia Lief

Aug 15, 11

Read in August, 2011

You Are Next was shelved in the romance section for some reason, as was its sequel. As a result, during the last frantic days of the Borders’ closing sale (sniff!), I bought them for 90% off. I may hate the closing of a bookstore, but dang it, I love a book sale.

Karin Schaeffer was a detective with the police department in Maplewood, New Jersey. While she and her partner Mac were investigating a serial killer, Martin Price, she caught Price’s attention. Unfortunately, Price liked to kill off whole families. He killed her husband, Jackson and three-year-old daughter, Cece. He was coming for her when he was captured.

This is not a romance. Let’s be clear about that. The story opens when Karin receives a call in her new home in Brooklyn to warn her that Martin Price has escaped prison. Karin doesn’t handle it well. She is no longer a detective. Her last day on the job, she tried to commit suicide. The news of his escape can only mean one thing – he’s coming after her and she hopes this time he’ll finish the job. She refuses police protection and waits for him to arrive.

Karin can’t go without a fight and ultimately he escapes, though he still wants to torture the woman who helped put him away. He decides his next target will be her brother, his pregnant wife, and their daughter, Suzanne.

I read this over a period of a month, so some of the details are a little fuzzy. Karin is a seriously damaged heroine. She’s wracked with guilt over the death of her little family. Life is just barely picking up when Price comes back into the picture.

Bottom-line: This was a pretty average book and nothing unexpected happened. If you like mysteries, this may float your boat, but there isn’t really anything new here. I like the character of Karin well enough, which means I’ll probably try the sequel just to see how things turn out for her. I'd like to give it more than 2 stars, but I really wasn't that impressed.

Minor spoiler ahead, but this type scene happens a couple of times, so I won’t really ruin anything: Maybe I’m a tad bloodthirsty, but it really bugs me when the good guy has the bad guy cornered, the bad guy is pleading for their life, and the good guy’s innate mercy and goodness keeps them from doing what we so desperately want them to do. I mean seriously, he killed your husband and child! I don’t think he’ll need both kneecaps in prison.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are Next.