Missie's Reviews > The Iron Queen

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: faeries, ya
Read in August, 2011

Because the world of the Iron Fey has held me so enchanted, I feared that coming to the end of Meghan's journey would be bittersweet. And I guess you could say it was. But the one thing you can rely on when you enter such an uninhibited world is that the ride to the end will be an adventure of epic proportions, filled with heart stopping action, and maybe even a few tears.

Against all odds (or should I say oddities?), Meghan Chase is once again thrown into the chaos she has come to know as Faery, forced to face impossible circumstances to stand against a false king in order to save an entire race; one that has not ever really accepted her.

Though the fey are reluctant to welcome Meghan as one of their own, since the beginning of the series I have always found her to be very admirable. She holds on firmly to her beliefs, unwilling to be tainted by the draw of promised power; a trait that has ultimately saved her life and the lives of those around her numerous times.

In a somewhat familiar yet still thrilling story arc, the events in The Iron Queen not only found Meghan shouldering responsibilities beyond what should be asked of a 17 year old, they also showed her displaying astonishing courage as she made an ultimate sacrifice for the survival of all. In many ways, the plot and pace of the story reminded me of Mockingjay. Unable to help myself, I constantly found myself comparing Meghan to Katniss, and discovered that their characteristics and their plight were strikingly similar. But, perhaps the comparison was unfair because, at the end, I simply adored Meghan so much more.

And then there was Ash. I'm sorry, but no matter what you say or what team your on, you aren't going to convince me that there has ever been a YA male quite like the Winter Prince. He stands alone. Powerful, honorable, and oh so swoon worthy. Everything he said, the quiet yet fierce way he loves, left me gasping for air. After quickly stealing my heart, he took my breath away time and time again with every word he uttered. *le sigh*

The Iron Fey series is truly outstanding and one that should be read by all. Kagawa has brilliantly created a whole new species of Fey and outcome has been nothing short of remarkable.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Queen.