Patty's Reviews > Shattered

Shattered by Sophia Sharp

Aug 17, 11

Read from August 16 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 0

I had to force myself to read the first 30 pages. Thinking it has to start to pick up sometime soon, even after skipping pages in the middle I still held out hope it would turn around. Alass I was 99% disappointed. Lets start with the character of Laura (the main girl), I felt she was a very weak, immature, young, her pathetic behavior and helplessness drove me insane. There was just no depth, the close second the details not matching up. At the start of the book the town and school were being described as being really small, 'the last new student was back in 8th grade', then we jump to this scene where these 4 boys are attacking Laura (the main character) in the hallway of her school - not only does no one notice that these 5 students are out of class and roaming the halls in this "small" school, but she doesn't even know who 3 out of the 4 boys are. I'm peeved 1. is this girl about to be sexually assaulted in school, 2. so now she doesn't know who these people are like what the hell 2 pages back shes talking about how she knows everyone. Then we have Logan (main character boy) and his whole creepy description at first is weird then when he makes this 'dramatic change' he shows up at school with slicked back hair and a trench coat and this is suppose to make him hot. I just kept reading thinking to my self this has got to get better. 50 pages in he's spilling all his deep dark secrets for no reason and talking about the past love of his life, I'm like where is the emotional connection between the two main characters - she doesn't even talk about her feelings towards him, then their dream walking, running away from home, killing people, going through mazes, too too much - my mind is about to explode. The last 10 pages is what I was waiting that whole book for. Funny thing is even though I completely did not like the authors tone in the book, or the weak characters I will still read the second book because of those last 10 pages. So I guess the joke is on me. Book 2 'better B better'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered.