Ashlie's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Sep 01, 11

bookshelves: favorite-reads-of-2011
Read in July, 2011

Divergent is absolutely the best dystopian fiction I've read since I started doing, I mean reading, the drug that is the Hunger Games. This book is so packed with action, and is intense in so many places. The best part is that it's just as mentally stimulating. There are a ton of plots arcs that pop out and surprise you, only to have you thinking, "why didn't I think out that!?"

The characters are awesome. I love Tris because she's not whiney. She sucks it up and figures out how to get better, how to be smarter and braver. Her family is just as interesting and her mom kicks some major butt. When you bring Four into the mix...hoooolay moooolay! *swoon* I'm such a sucker for a hot good guy. Four is the strong, silent type, but his secrets are amazing. In fact, all of the secrets that are revealed in Divergent are goooood. I really enjoyed the mental aspects of this book: the simulations, the assessments of the characters & the choices the characters had to make.

I can't believe I have to wait until 2012 for the next book in the series. Yes, it's easy to compare Divergent to The Hunger Games, but are they the same? No. Are they both awesome? Yes. Let them be their own projects. Let's let them keep their similarities and let's love their differences (like, even though I love Katniss, lets be honest, she was whiny).

If you like good stories, action, adventure, mystery, suspense, a bit of romance, and somewhat of a psychological edge, then you will LOVE Divergent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.