Audrey's Reviews > What I Did For a Duke

What I Did For a Duke by Julie Anne Long

Aug 31, 2011

bookshelves: historical
Read from August 15 to 17, 2011

I was so so so tempted to bump this one up to a five, but I ultimately chose a four because I don't love the heroine enough to give it a five. Alex (the titular duke) is perfect - stoic, enigmatic, complex, confident, and a little cold such that when he cracks a little over his emotions for Genevieve (our heroine), it's swoon-worthy. He was just a wonderful H, and, despite his bold words, he carried his seduction out with such finesse and grace that I sat here wide-eyed, waiting to see what would come next. He more than delivers on his promises, and, in this case, he has sigh-worthy actions to lend emotional depth to his provocative words.

Note that I'm not a big fan of the revenge plot or the love triangle, and this book has both, with the triangle comprised of Alex, Genevieve, and Harry, the lordling whom Genevieve thinks she loves. Another issue (which I'll throw into this paragraph because I can't figure out where else to put it) is the author's (mis)use of titles, particularly for daughters of non-earls/marquesses/dukes. For example, "Lady Abigail" is supposedly the daughter of a baron, which (from my understanding) should mean she's Miss [last name] if she's the oldest or Miss Abigail if she's not the oldest. I don't see how she can be "Lady Abigail" as the daughter of a baron. She would be Lady [title] if she were a widow. There were other instances of botched address, which distracted me a little.

*deep breath* MOVING ON...

This book hops along at a brisk pace, with Alex ruthlessly determined to take his revenge on Genevieve's brother by seducing and abandoning Genevieve. Thankfully, this revenge aspect of the plot is wrapped up pretty tidily and quickly between the characters, which leaves us with the emotional angst of the love triangle and how it will play out. Here's where we really get the focus on our H and h's learning about, discovering, and appreciating each other. They recognize each other's hidden layers almost as though they were the counterpart to each other. Many scenes are filled with subtle observations of each other's character and actions until you really get the feeling that they truly know and understand each other in ways others have never tried or been permitted. They actually don't even kiss until over halfway into the book, and the chemistry and tension leap off the pages up til that point. Their physical scenes are intense and emotional and follow this highly anticipated kiss in explosive succession.

I really really liked this book, but as I said before, my main quibble is with Genevieve. For the most part, I liked her and her clever yet subtle witticisms (which were revealing to Alex of her true character but remained hidden from others) very much...until she started bothering me around two-thirds into the book. She's smart and has all of these hidden and under-appreciated depths - great. So why does it take her sooooooo long to wise up to her actual feelings and lose her "but it's Harry I love!" mantra? In the meanwhile, she's putting Alex through the emotional ringer (though you may not guess it because he's so damned outwardly composed all the time). In truth, by the time we got to her revelation, I actually thought we needed a little more heroine groveling to wrap things up appropriately and give Alex the emotional payoff he deserved. Then again, maybe that just goes to show how much I liked him. *grins*

So, yes, a very strong four, and I think I will seek out more from this author and series.

P.S. Note that I had not read any of the other books in the series, and, although it's apparent that Genevieve's siblings are some of those characters from prior books, I think this book reads perfectly fine as a standalone. I didn't think there was "background" story that I was missing from not having read the other books.

Edit: P.P.S. In retrospect, I must also say that I think the title is a bit misleading because our heroine doesn't actually do much for her duke. It seems quite the opposite, to be honest, but I guess "What I Did For Genevieve" doesn't carry the same punch, does it?
16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Did For a Duke.

08/15/2011 page 5
1.0% "Juuuuust started and I'm already digging it. The flame shuddered fitfully and at last took hold. And at last a man's face flickered in and out of light and shadow. It was a bit like watching Lucifer sitting at a campfire. "Moncrieffe.""
08/15/2011 page 13
3.0% "Wait, how can she be "Lady Abigail" if she's the daughter of "only" a baron and, I'm assuming, not a widow?"
08/15/2011 page 176
46.0% "OMG OMG OMG, I am SUCH a sucker for flowers and brilliant messages accompanying them."
08/15/2011 page 228
59.0% "This story is really really good. Other than the head scratching over the author's (mis)use of titles, I can't stop myself from turning the pages. The revenge plot doesn't overwhelm the relationship (surprisingly), and Alex and Genevieve have chemistry scorching up the pages. It took them over half the book to KISS, and man alive *fans self* was that worth it."
08/16/2011 page 298
78.0% "Hot damn, Alex is INTENSE."
08/17/2011 page 298
78.0% ""He wanted to know all of her thoughts. He wanted to tell her...well, most of his. He would ask nothing else from life if he would be allowed to protect and cherish her for the rest of his."" 3 comments

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I have seen nothing but good reviews for this!

willaful I really need to catch up with this series...

Audrey Danielle and willaful, it was really good. Intense and emotional, but not heavy handed. I loved Alex.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I need to try to read this soon. So many books!!!

Kelly I agree with you about Genevieve being frustrating near the end of the book, and especially about wanting to see her groveling to Alex.

message 6: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda I get why Genevieve was the way she was (still immature and she thought Harry was her first love) but I agree the Duke was awesome. I am also glad that you mentioned the titles, they were confusing the heck out of me.