Greg's Reviews > Communion: A True Story

Communion by Whitley Strieber

M 50x66
Jul 31, 13

Read from August 15, 2011 to July 31, 2013

Second time I've read this book. It's difficult to say what I think of it. The author claims that this is a true account. To his credit, Strieber does give a number of theories of different things that it could be that aren't aliens. Either way it's somewhat disturbing.

It seems that Strieber's psychologist/psychiatrists were careful to avoid this, but a skeptical person might say that the use of hypnotic regression therapy caused false memories to be implanted based on the author or practitioner's preconceived notions of what had happened. Or, they could say this is a work of fiction intended as an effort to get the author on the best seller list after his writing career had started to wane. Or, the author is delusional thanks to an undiagnosed mental illness. The conspiracy theorist might say that the author is an unwitting test subject of MK ULTRA or another similar mind control experiment.

I am not sure what I believe, but certain elements of the author's story are probably true even if there is another explanation for the events that occurred. Striber has on his website the results of a polygraph that doesn't show any deception, there are other medical tests and eye witnesses that corroborate his story. It may be a leap from the recent revelations by science and government agencies about water on other planets and the existence of life outside of earth suggested by the recent finding of DNA material found on a meteorite from space.

I believe the burden of proof is always on the person making the claim. I'm not sure what to think, but it was an interesting and thought-provoking book in either case and also enjoyed his sequel book, Transformation.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Communion.