Dan Schwent 's Reviews > Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys

Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys by Jordan Krall

Oct 27, 11

bookshelves: bizarro, 2011, books-by-authors-i-have-interviewed, great-titles
Read from August 15 to October 27, 2011

Henry Price makes a delivery to a nudist colony and becomes entranced by a naked woman wearing a donkey mask. Gary Lancaster is obsessed with a movie called The Apocalypse Donkeys, a film that may or may not be real, and blueberry pancakes. Bill Stapleton is an aging former daredevil who knows someone is sleeping with his wife. But how are the men linked by the mysterious green hummingbird?

Jordan Krall continues to impress me. I first became a fan of his after Fistful of Feet, his bizarro western. Subsequent books of his like Squid Pulp Blues and King Scratch have reinforced my opinion of him as an author to watch in the future. Then this book came along.

I've read a lot of bizarro fiction in 2011 and this one may have taken the cake. How many other books have you read that prominently feature a naked woman in a donkey mask, a green hummingbird, blueberry pancakes, and a nudist colony? And I didn't even mention references to Small Wonder, that 80's sitcom featuring the little girl robot, or the 66 Ford Futura, the car they used to construct the Batmobile in the 1960's Batman show.

The book starts off just a little odd and becomes positively nightmarish by the end. The nature of identity is explored, as are aspects of voyeurism. (view spoiler)

That's about all I have to say. Krall's rendered me speechless. It's an easy four but expect a helping of uneasiness while you read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Valley of the Apocalypse Donkeys.

10/27/2011 page 23
show 11 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Looks like another winner from Mr. Krall. Great review.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Stephen wrote: "Looks like another winner from Mr. Krall. Great review."

Thanks. This was his best written book so far.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Its another of those wondrously titled books Dan. Where do you find them ?

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Mark wrote: "Its another of those wondrously titled books Dan. Where do you find them ?"

Most of them come from one of two places:
or

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark have just gone on that first site....Please tell me you are going to read and review

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Mark wrote: "have just gone on that first site....Please tell me you are going to read and review
'The corpse wore pasties' by the fabulously named Jonny Porkpie. Even better if you already have."

Already have, my friend.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark then I shall find it. Good on you. You are a star

message 8: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Mark wrote: "then I shall find it. Good on you. You are a star"

I've read the entire Hard Case line up to this point but I didn't review the first ten or fifteen I read. Check out my Hard Case shelf:

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark cheers I shall

message 10: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Dan wrote: Thanks. This was his best written book so far."

Damn, better than Squid Pulp Blues and Fistful of Feet? I really need a job.

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Bradley wrote: "Dan wrote: Thanks. This was his best written book so far."

Damn, better than Squid Pulp Blues and Fistful of Feet? I really need a job."

I like the stories in Squid Pulp Blues more but I'd say Jordan's writing is better in this one.

message 12: by Bradley (last edited Oct 27, 2011 11:09AM) (new)

Bradley I also already have a whole bunch of books that I need to read but can't seem to get to quickly enough anyway.

Anyway, every writer's writing improves over time (unless perhaps if they take a long-term break from it).

message 13: by Cassy (new)

Cassy I really need to investigate this bizarro fiction! I guess this one is a good place to start?

message 14: by Dan (last edited Oct 27, 2011 12:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Cassy wrote: "I really need to investigate this bizarro fiction! I guess this one is a good place to start?"

I'd say this one will give you a pretty good idea of what you're getting into. Maybe I'll send you a couple recommendations.

message 15: by Cassy (new)

Cassy Thanks for recommendations, Dan!