Louisa's Reviews > Ten Things We Did

Ten Things We Did by Sarah Mlynowski

2054481
Sep 11, 11

bookshelves: 99-problems, bizarre-medical-problems, girly-as-shit, i-love-awkward-teenagers-in-fiction, ya
Read in September, 2011

Okay, well, for starters, I really liked the book. As mindless teen reading, it is funny, smart, the (girl) characters are awesome, blah, blah, blah. However, I did have a major issue with the novel's conclusion that forced me to re-think giving this to the free-spirited and funny girls I think Ms. Mlynowski envisions as her prime reading audience. Let's just say, up until the novel's conclusion, the subject of teenage sex is handled in a responsible and yet refreshing, girls will be girls sort of way. I absolutely adored Vi's attitude and thought many girls I know would be able to relate to her and April's struggles. However, the novel seems to do an absolute 180 the last sixty pages or so--bandying about the "slut" word without any irony and ultimately giving one of our girls an emergency visit to the pharmacy.

Frankly, by the end end of the novel, I was disappointed--not in April, Vi, Lucy or Marissa (although she kind of ultimately sucks)--but in the author's inability to decide what kind of novel she really wanted to write.

I will say this...I did have to give like half a star for naming the kitten Donut. Best cat name ever. And officially my favorite pet in YA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Things We Did.