Peyton's Reviews > First Among Sequels

First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

3642065
Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: humor, science-fiction, fantasy, literary-fiction
Read from August 15 to 18, 2011

He's done it again! When Jasper Fforde dies, his brain should be left for scientists and English professors to study.

While the entire Thursday Next series could double as serious literary criticism, this entry in particular examines the uses and purposes of fiction. It's refreshing to read fiction about reading fiction that's actually worth reading. Fforde also has the dexterity of a ventriloquist, slipping in and out of the voices of classic writers. Elizabeth Bennet's dialogue is brilliantly Austenesque and a foray into "The Wreck of the Hesperus" is appropriately Longfellowan.

However, I do have to air one complaint that has bothered me since Lost in a Good Book: Fforde's Bookworld is far more beaurocratic and mechanical than the organically fantastic place I would have imagined it to be. I know it's just a matter of imaginative license either way, but all the talk of book-reading technology and inter-genre politics gets a little stifling.

But, hey, as I said before: Fforde on a weak day is still better than many writers on a strong day. Above all, he's a storyteller... and a very good one, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Among Sequels.