Ashelynn's Reviews > The Shattering

Aug 23, 2011

bookshelves: recommend
Read from August 18 to 22, 2011

This review is also posted on Gypsy Book Reviews

The Shattering was amazing. At first, from the summary, I thought it’d just be a book about murders (which I love, btw!), but it’s so much more. I’m awed at the amount of complexity this book packs together—suicide, murder, bullying, being gay, and magic.

Yeah, you heard that: there’s magic included in this book. And it’s not like waving wands or anything, but more Wicca magic. White magic and black magic and oh my god, so amazing.

What I really loved about The Shattering is it’s told in three points of view: Keri, Janna, and Sione. And it’s set in New Zealand. Summerton, specifically, and it’s CREEPY once you figure the book out.

I don’t know what to say without spoiling the book or gushing about it. I don’t have to say everything about it (because I LOVE IT SO MUCH) or just gush (again: I LOVE IT SO MUCH) about it either. So let’s go with the characters:

Keri. She’s smart, knows what to do, but when her brother kills himself, she doesn’t have a plan and this throws her life in chaos.

Janna. Janna, Janna. Janna can sometimes be a bitch, but she’s also nice at times. And she’s in a band called Vikings to the Left (love that name!)

Sione. Oh, my poor Sione. He’s the one who’s being bullied most of the time and god, every time it happened, I wanted to kick somebody’s ass. He doesn’t deserve to be treated like they treated him!

Also, since it’s told in three points of view, I must say this: they’re distinctive. Keri’s POV is told in first person while Sione’s and Janna’s are in third person. And even if they were all told in one narrative, I think you’d still be able to figure it out. Janna’s voice is a bit rougher at times, while Keri’s is soft—but she also has a rough edge, and Sione. Sione sounded like a wounded puppy or a turtle stuck in its shell. He was just so wounded that I really do want to give him a hug and kiss him.

And all the issues? They were tackled neatly and not like you were being pounded over the head with a message. This is one book I’m definitely going to have to shove in people’s hands at bookstores. So much love! <3

I also believe this is a standalone novel. The ending (not the climax, mind you) takes place a year later, so I do believe it is a standalone novel. High five!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shattering.

08/20/2011 page 25
8.0% "three points of view! yay. I love multiple points of view." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Wendy Darling I'm looking forward to reading this one. And standalone is a plus!

Ashelynn A perfect standalone! Enjoy when you get the chance to read it.