Suzanne's Reviews > Fast-Tracked

Fast-Tracked by Tracy Rozzlynn

3199097
Aug 25, 11

Read from August 18 to 24, 2011

I won "Fast-Tracked" through a Library Thing member giveaway program. I entered to win it because it seems Dystopian can do no wrong in my eyes, since I am avidly hooked on the genre, and I love how many ways there are to twist it. After reading this story, I am glad it was available as a giveaway, because it enabled me to read a rather good addition to the genre that I might not have found out about on my own.

Just so you know, I do give my honest opinion in reviews, and if anything comes off as harsh, I do not intend it that way! I have a great respect for writers, and the views I am about to express are only my opinion, and should be taken as such.

The first couple of pages seemed a little awkward to me. Like the author was so excited to start her story, but just wasn't sure exactly how to begin, which ended up in a beginning that felt like it was running all over the place. Fortunately, this doesn't last long, the first couple of pages at most, and then this story settles into a smoother rhythm.

I enjoyed the back story on how this world came to be. Too often, it is something most books that fall in this genre omit, and Rozzlynn earned instant points from me for giving us some background without it feeling forced. Also, it added great dimension to the story, and had me thinking "hey, this is actually pretty plausible."

The characters do come to life in this story. I was so amused how the main character, Alexandria, goes by both 'Lexi' and later, 'Zandria'. Both names, while derived from the same initial one, depict such drastically different personalities, which I saw as perfectly suiting in this story. It was almost as if the main character had to create an alter ego to survive in the world she was thrust in, and it was very nicely done. And ahhh... Avery. He was so much more complex than I ever expected him to be, and even knowing what I do now about his character (no spoilers) I still don't know if I should admire him, or fear him, love him, or hate him.

The only parts of the story that came off a bit forced to me were the business aspects. I understand why it was essential to the story line, but I didn't really feel like it was introduced right, or carried out right, and so it sometimes seemed to take away from the story instead of enhance it.

On the other hand, another plus of this story was Rozzlynn's vivid descriptions of scenery, clothing, and even expressions. Hell, I would love for Rozzlynn to write my wardrobe! I feel pretty sure if she wrote it down on paper, than I sprinkled a bit of fairy dust on it, I would find the written clothes hanging in my closet!

One small thing that didn't really effect my enjoyment of the story too terribly was the few misspellings and such through the story. Although, that really isn't the author's fault, it falls on the head of the editor, so a little more editing please! :)

All in all, this story was really very good. It had its ups and downs, but always succeeded in holding my interest and making me think of it even when I wasn't reading it. This story is a bit "Gossip Girl" meets modern dystopia, and that was fine by me. I enjoyed the cattiness, the power struggle, and the dystopian setting enough that I will definitely be reading the rest of the trilogy, in addition to happily checking out Rozzlynn's other works. If this book sounds interesting to you, I suggest you do the same!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fast-Tracked.