Kris's Reviews > Ward Against Death

Ward Against Death by Melanie Card

Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: books-reviewed, review-copy, paranormal
Read from August 15 to September 17, 2011

Copied from original post at Imaginary Reads.

The cover and pitch had me thinking that this would be a serious novel. It's true. Celia's looking for her murderer after all. The characters add spice to it-- a lot of spice. You get the impression that Ward is a bit of a klutz (a huge understatement). He shouldn't be a necromancer, being the sensitive, honorable, morally upright man that he is, but he has no other choice since he's prohibited from being a surgeon. As for Celia, you haven't met a true independent, fierce woman until you've met her, because she's dragging Ward all over the place and out to wreck justice on her murderers, which is ironic considering her (former) profession.

The questions of who murdered Celia and why pull the plot forward while the characters work their charm on the readers. Ward didn't go into the necromancer business as his first choice, and he certainly didn't look for women involved in dangerous business. Now he's met Celia, and he's painfully attracted to her. I love how the romance develops. Celia is a strong woman, and Ward is somewhat of a weak guy. Somehow the combination works. There is a definite chemistry. Ward is both drawn towards Celia and repulsed. I would be too if I were kissing a hot dead guy.

What I love most about Ward Against Death is the way Melanie Card weaves history and medical aspects into the novel. Not only do these components make the novel more interesting, they set it apart from all the other YA-crossover novels out there. Ward Against Death ends strongly with enough of the mystery leftover for me to want to anticipate answers in the next book along with more mystery, romance, adventure, and magic.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ward Against Death.