Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > The Shattered Sylph

The Shattered Sylph by L.J. McDonald

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: sylphs, fantasy
Read from August 15 to 16, 2011, read count: 1

The more I read of this series, the more I like it.

Six years have passed since the events of The Battle Sylph, but the transition feels seamless. Solie is still queen of what is now known as Sylph Valley. Heyou (**cringe**) is still at her side. Lizzie, Leon's daughter, is now 18 years-old. She is still in love with Ril, her father's battle sylph. But he closed himself off to her emotionally after he was injured at the end of the last book. And she believes he has no feelings for her beyond friendship.

Of course, she's wrong. Completely, utterly, wonderfully wrong. When Lizzie is kidnapped by slavers, Ril joins her father and Justin (a young suitor of hers) on a mission to find her. Ril is the only one who can track her, because years ago, he imprinted himself on her in secret. He made her his master out of his love for her.

The slavers put Lizzie in a harem for battle sylphs who need an outlet. But when none of them wants her, she discovers that it is because they see her as mated to Ril. And when the two of them are reunited, it's just spectacular.

The world-building in this series is just enthralling. The sex and sexual tension are awesome, but the book is also wonderfully romantic. There is plenty of action, great secondary characters, and impressive continuity. Ril is a fantastic tortured hero... and I have such a weak spot for those (especially when they're done right.) My only niggling complaints are the same ones I had for the last book... dumb names for the sylphs and the youth of the heroines. Even aging Lizzie six years, leaves her only at 18. These are not YA books... would it kill the author to make the girls 20 or 21?

Again, these complaints are small ones. I really, really enjoyed this book --and I love this series. Almost 5 stars.

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shattered Sylph.

message 1: by AH (new) - added it

AH I enjoyed the first one, despite it's flaws. I'm curious about Ril's story. I agree with you, making the heroine a little older would make the story much better.

Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell I couldn't have said it better. I just can Not put these books down once I start them. It's like literary crack.

message 3: by AH (new) - added it

AH So true!

message 4: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Hope you don't mind my asking but virgin heroine?

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) It's been awhile since I read it, but I am nearly 100% sure that she was.

message 6: by Erin (new) - added it