Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Forever

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

"It was a little after midnight, and I was trying to sleep mostly out of self-defense."

My initial rating for this book was 4.5 stars. Then, while I was trying to write a review (I say trying because all my attempts have been pretty unsuccessful by my standards), I just went ahead and changed it to 5. It felt like the right thing to do. I suppose it would be easy enough to start pointing out flaws, complain about this and that, compare this book to Linger and especially Shiver, but I don’t want to do any of that. Not to Forever. The truth is, even if it didn’t have as many breathtaking moments as the two books before it, I was still very happy with how it was done. Besides, Maggie Stiefvater deserved better than that. What she gave me with this trilogy cannot be measured in stars. It cannot be taken apart or put into words. I’d always believed that there’s nothing beyond language, but this time, words really are inadequate. And, my dear GoodReaders, you have no idea how much it costs me to admit it.

Maggie Stiefvater has a way of making me see beauty in the simplest things. She doesn’t create it, she just uses her words to point out what was already there and show it in a completely different light. Never before have I stopped to notice the quiet sadness in the most mundane, repetitive moments but it doesn’t surprise me at all that it was Stiefvater who pulled that particular heartstring and woke me up. And I do feel awakened, at least for now.

All these characters started as one thing, and ended up as their true selves. People keep talking about Cole and how much he’s grown in Forever, but Grace did too, just in a less obvious way. Cole found purpose, Isabel found softness, Sam found determination and Grace found completion. Honestly, what more can you ask?

"It was like I’d unfolded all my paper crane memories and found something unfamiliar printed on them. Somehow along the way, hope had been folded into one of those birds. My whole life, I had thought that my story was, again and again: Once upon a time, there was a boy, and he had to risk everything to keep what he loved. But the real story was: Once upon a time, there was a boy, and his fear ate him alive. I was done being afraid."

While rereading these books will certainly not be the same as reading them for the first time, the very fact that I will be rereading them, and probably many times at that, gives me a reason not to say goodbye right now. I can never do this book justice. I will never be able to write anything worthy of Stiefvater’s beautiful prose, so I might as well stop trying. After 1150 pages full of emotions and truth, all I can say is: Thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.

08/15/2011 page 0
0.0% "I already feel like I'm losing my best friend." 16 comments
08/15/2011
4.0% ""Without Grace, I was a perpetual motion machine, run by my inability to sleep and my fear of letting my thoughts build up in my head. Every night was a photocopy of every day that had come before it, and every day was a photocopy of every night. Everything felt so wrong..."" 8 comments
08/16/2011
21.0% ""A bookstore was not the most entertaining place to be marooned." Really, Cole? Pfft." 6 comments
08/17/2011
29.0% ""People shouldn't have to earn kindness. They should have to earn cruelty."" 11 comments
08/18/2011
48.0% ""I don't think I ever believed in love, not really. Just thought it was something James Bond made up, a long time ago, to get laid.""

Eric How have you waited so long... I was dying to finish the series.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Well, I had readalongs all this time, plus, I really wanted to savor it and now I feel like I'm in the right place, you know?!

Thomas I really hope you love this one! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, no worries. I'm already loving it. :)

message 5: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora Yay! 4.5 with a round up of 5 can't mean it's all bad! Plus it's on your favorites shelf . . . I shall wait for your review :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Well, I just wrote it and changed it to 5, so there you go. :)
It doesn't feel good enough, though. Nothing does. :(

message 7: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora Maja, it's just after 7:00 a.m. where I live and you've made me cry again! You're hell on my tear ducts.

I'm glad this was really good for you. :)

Do you know about her next book, The Scorpio Races? It comes out in Oct in the US.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Aww, that's not a good way to start a day. :(

I know, Wendy has the arc, but I think she had some problems with it. She's taking forever to read it. I will definitely try, even though I know that nothing can ever replace this.

message 9: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora I'm not expecting it to be as good as this series, but it will still have her amazing writing, so I'll definitely read it.

And your review is absolutely good enough, BTW. The emotion in it matches the emotion in the series perfectly. I love it:)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You are always so sweet. :)
I think I need to go read the new Charley Davidson to make myself feel better. I have been smiling ever since I finished this book, but it is that sad, nostalgic little smile. Now I need to laugh. :)

message 11: by Limonessa (last edited Aug 18, 2011 05:46AM) (new)

Limonessa My reviews might make sense but yours have a lot of heart. Great review, Maja.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thank you, my lovely. But don't think you're getting out of tutoring me. :D

message 13: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric You could actually put your feelings into words, I still haven't been able to put anything down. I loved this book so much it was ridiculous and you're right putting it to rest seems pretty impossible right now.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Maybe it will come to you after you reread it, Eric. I still haven't reviewed one of my favorite books this year. :)

message 15: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Wonderful review, Maja.

Laura Maja—that was beautiful! I loved your “ended up as their true selves” point. So, so true and beautifully said!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thanks so much, Stephen.

Laura, I had a hard time with this one. The Shiver and Linger reviews were so much easier to write. :)

Wendy Darling I'm glad this was satisfying conclusion for you, love. And this statement really could not be more true for me as well:

What she gave me with this trilogy cannot be measured in stars.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I know you are. You are my favorite person after all. :)

message 20: by Nat (new)

Nat Wow this review makes me want to read the trilogy now. :D I had my doubts before, but now I think I should go buy the first one. Awesome review.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) That makes me very happy, Natalie. Let me know how you liked it. :)

Greta is Erikasbuddy SUPER LOVED!! This series makes me smile!! Awesome review MAJA!!

Darkfallen Great review! I couldn't have said it better...and I'm not going to say goodbye either...i refuse;)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thank you so much! :)

message 25: by Kwesi 章英狮 (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 I have a friend who recommend this book because I love flowery prose. Haha. Is it true?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Well, 'flowery prose' has a negative conotation, so I'll have to say no!

It is amazingly well written and if you appreciate that, I think you'll enjoy the trilogy very much. Definitely try it. I'll be waiting to read your review. :)

message 27: by Kwesi 章英狮 (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 Thanks Maja.

Isabella OMG!! That was beautiful!!!

I would never have been able to find words for that in a million years and yet you have made your words into a masterpiece of meaning!!!:0:0:0:0:0:0:0!!!!!!!!!

What you said is almost exactly how I felt after reading them for the first time!!!OOOMMMGGG!!!!!

Borby I totally agree with you.

Isabella Thanks!!!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'm so sorry, Isabella, I just now saw your comment: the previous one AND this one.
Thank you so, so much. You are very sweet. :)

message 32: by Isabella (last edited Jan 17, 2012 03:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isabella That's ok!! You earned it!!! That's why I asked to be your Goodreads friend.

Lalai Magadia Heart warming ending. Will this ever be made into a show or movie?