Savannah's Reviews > Ghost Story

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: faerie, families, fantasy, fiction, friendship, librarybook, mystery, noire, series, supernatural
Read from August 07 to 14, 2011

Although this installment wasn't quite as enthrallingly wizz-bang as I'd hoped (am I getting jaded? is the author?), when I back off an look at it the author was indeed pretty clever in shoehorning a whole new episode, and a whole primer on another portion of the supernatural realm, into what should have been a direct follow-on to the end of the last. And I am ever so grateful that he continues to resist dipping into overt religious plotting as so many scifi books have fallen prey to: his touch remains light and the focus strict on goodness rather than deity-driven theology. So, okay, he has perhaps a little too much fun with the geeky shout-outs--that works a bit better in Eureka than on the page, somehow. But if that keeps the author going in this plotworld even in the face of his admitted greater love of high fantasy (really, wasn't it a bit much putting an afterword thanking you for reading his other series as though this one counts for nothing?)then I'm pretty much okay with it.

The same plot, the same characters, dress them up a bit differently--it's a workable formula. Will it continue to be so? No, my sense is the author's apparent lack of interest in the series is going to prevent him bringing enough new to it to keep us all going, and the signs of that are already creeping in. Please, Jim Butcher: if you don't want to write more Dresden, please quit before your series withers away into inanity. Don't let Harry Dresden down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Story.