Andi Ruggles (Rywn)'s Reviews > Cat's Tale: A Fairy Tale Retold

Aug 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed
Read from August 15 to 17, 2011

I found Cat’s Tale to be a won­der­ful ‘adult’ retelling of the tale of Puss in Boots, as it is a fairy tale with just the right amount of naugh­ti­ness. While I wasn’t expect­ing the more graphic aspects going into the story, as a long time reader of his­tor­i­cal romances, I found that it worked and added to the story rather than just dis­tract­ing you from it. Reading through, I was torn con­stantly between hat­ing Cat for being so vain, greedy and shal­low, and lov­ing every minute of it. Many authors seem to be afraid to make the female the ‘reformer’ in a story (let alone as the main char­ac­ter), and I gob­bled up every minute of Cat’s inde­ci­sion and worry about how Julian would react if he knew the truth of her character.

It is fun to see Cat’s char­ac­ter change as she begins to fall in love with Julian, and I appre­ci­ated the fact that despite the story being so short her evo­lu­tion and feel­ings for Julian don’t evolve sud­denly. My only com­plaint is that Cat took her entire trans­for­ma­tion into a cat rel­a­tively in stride, as it didn’t actu­ally seem to phase her. How­ever, does seem fit­ting to Cat’s char­ac­ter that she is more con­cerned with her lack of shoes than the fact that she is now a cat. Despite the ‘fairy tale’ aspect of the story, all the char­ac­ters are writ­ten with both strengths and flaws, and Julian man­ages to remain the hero to the story with­out being the per­fect ‘Prince Charming’.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cat's Tale.