Jon Sayer's Reviews > The Martian Chronicles

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: scifi, fiction, classic, social-commentary, aliens, mars, apocalypse, post-apocalyptic, atomic-age, short-stories
Read in November, 2010

I was hesitant to dive into this one. I read the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson last year and I figured that Mars was done. I was sure I would never read another book that could come close to doing justice to Mars like the Mars Trilogy did.

But this is nothing like the Mars Trilogy. While KSR's Mars is based in science and fact, the Mars of Ray Bradbury is a complete fantasy. The colonists are not KSR's hopeful protagonists struggling against a cruel society, but the perpetrators of the cruel society. His world was not a futurists realistic take on colonization, but a harsh critique of the world he saw back in 1950, only with rocket ships and more BS. I haven't read much Bradbury, but based on what I remember of Fahrenheit 451, I should have expected as much from him.

As a collection of short stories, it was a slow read. Some of the stories were page turners, but none of them blew my mind. Still, I'm glad I've read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian Chronicles.