Leah's Reviews > You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool

You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl by Celia Rivenbark

May 17, 13

bookshelves: free-won
Read from September 09 to 14, 2011

Each chapter is a essay, for lack of a better word. It's very scatterbrained, though. She starts on one topic and ends up on another. For instance, she starts one chapter on Susan Boyle and ends up talking about not being able to open a Cover Girl Simply Ageless compact. Each story is "cute" on it's own, but together it doesn't mesh well.

She includes crude unnecessary language. She calls a child " a little shit." It's not like she's being mean wanting to call names. It's just replacing the word "child" or "boy" or "girl" or "her" or "him." The book isn't riddled with dirty words, but the ones used are very unnecessary. They're not there to create anything. Sometimes curse words are used to create atmosphere or show personality. The words here don't do any of that. In essence, they're meaningless.

Humor? A little. She does take potshots at Republicans and conservatives. She's southern and religious (well, she attends church), but she's also liberal. She makes no bones about it. If you don't agree with her thinking much of the stuff is not going to be funny or humorous.

The book reads as a collection of blog posts though the author claims she doesn' t have the ability to write a blog and has a hard time coming up with just 140 characters to Tweet.

Rivenbark is a pure pill, not a joy to read. I find myself wanting to cuss her out on almost every other page. I didn't know this was going to be political, but she lets it fly that she hates Republicans and thinks we're bat-shit insane (and see, that curse word has a purpose). We get it. She's in love with Obama and hates W. She thinks all Republicans are loony-toons and anyone who likes them is loony-toons, too. This isn't a political book, satire or non. She's not a political writer. She needs to leave this junk out. She's got plenty to write about without putting in the "I love Obama/hate Republicans" junk. It's not funny. It's stale, old, been done before, and frankly insulting to potential readers.

I love good snark, but this isn't it.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl.

09/09/2011 page 25