Emma's Reviews > The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It

The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, owned-paperback
Read from August 15 to 22, 2011, read count: 1

The E-Myth is a how-to/help guide for diagnosing the problems with small businesses and how to begin to solve them.

I was sent this by a business consultant who felt the IT company myself and my partner run is falling into the pitfalls described in this book - and in a way it is. However, I wouldn't say that reading the E-Myth was a eureka moment, which suddenly made me realise what we have to do in order to grow our business (because that is our issue, rather than simply running it).

It breaks down a lot of things which most people already know because they are common sense, but of course seeing it in a linear format is always useful. In other words it helps you to see the wood from the trees.

The book is massively over-written, repetitive and I have to say the tone was irritating. The notes I took managed to streamline the ideas and suggestions from the E-Myth into approximately 2000 words and the narrative of the author's meeting with Sarah was unnecessary and sometimes, dare I say it, nauseating.

Overall, this book is helpful and contains some good guidelines for getting a business into order and focusing the direction you are going in. However, I think it would be of most use for consumer based businesses, (hair-dressers, bakeries, hotels etc) as not all of the theories fit for business to business ventures and if you do decide to buy it, consider skim-reading to save yourself some time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The E-Myth Revisited.