Erika's Reviews > Enchanted Adornments

Enchanted Adornments by Cynthia Thorton

Aug 15, 11

Recommended for: artists, jewelers, people who like to play with clay
Read from August 01 to 02, 2011, read count: 5

This book, presented in a narrative format, is truly remarkable. Each project is described in detail and accompanied by a short little narrative giving a fantastic inspiration for each piece. While I have only tried about half the projects, I have already had great success with the ones I've attempted. I found it easy to alter the designs to fit the materials I already own. My only complaint would be that metal clay is a part of several projects, and while most of the time it is fairly simple to substitute in polymer clay, the metal clay can only be cured in a kiln, which the vast majority of readers do not have access to. But all in all, I have had great fun trying out the different projects and getting ideas for my own spinoffs.
I would also mention to potential readers and experimenters that buying all those different colors of clay is not necessary. It is extremely easy to color white polymer with cheap oil paints, and to add shimmer all one needs to do is knead a shimmery powder (I use Ben Nye makeup powder) into the clay. I would also say that the gemstone beads are not essential either. I used plastic and glass, and my pieces look brilliant despite that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchanted Adornments.