Patrice Sartor's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: drugs-alcohol-and-or-crime, different-culture, humor, memoir, parent-child, siblings
Read from April 17 to 19, 2012

I've only recently started listening regularly to audio books, and since I use a Nano to do this (after transferring the CDs into iTunes), certain issues bug me the same way that typos do in printed books. Two problems exist with this audio book, ones that could have easily been avoided:

a) The first and second disks are both named Me Talk Pretty One Day [Disc 2]. Fail!

b) There are FOUR authors for this book:

David Sedaris
Sedaris, David
1David Sedaris
5David Sedaris

Please publishers, do some troubleshooting on your audio products.

That said, there were plenty of funny moments. Sedaris is terrific at reading his books; his tone, timing, inflections, just everything, are all spot-on. Aside from the episode with the French teacher, the parts in Paris were my least favorite overall.

I'm from Raleigh, with a dad that worked at IBM. I've since transplanted to CA, though I really, really liked all of the references to the city, landmarks, and shopping centers. "Go Carolina" was made even funnier by Sedaris' perfect southern accent. Good stuff.

Had the entire book maintained that level of humor for me, I would have given the book more stars. This is the third Sedaris book that I've listened to. I have one of his in my stack to read, but I am not sure the voice in my head could do nearly as good a job as Sedaris could.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.