Melissa's Reviews > Manhood for Amateurs

Manhood for Amateurs by Michael Chabon

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: bookclub
Read in August, 2011

I had perhaps had unfair expectations of this book, wanting it to be more of a memoir than a collection of essays. Chabon has some very insightful things to say about manhood, and fatherhood, and his writing is beautiful (though at times I thought it too showy, as though his sentences were too pleased with themselves), but as each essay came to a close, I found myself wanting much more than his pithy observations. I wish that he had gone into more detail about his own family life. The personal details he included in these essays were better than his generalizations, even though his generalizations seemed smart and true. I finished it rather disappointed that having read Michael Chabon talk about parenthood, I still had no clear sense of what his family life is really like. He has some poignant sentences about his wife, and his kids, but I really wanted a much fuller sense of of their lives. I wanted messy, whereas everything he presented was neat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manhood for Amateurs.