Circus Princess's Reviews > Shade

Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

Get ready for some extreme raving/unhealthy obsessing. Enter... IF YOU DARE!! *cue cheesy over used Halloween organ music*

Oh, Jeri Smith-Ready. After reading this book, I have automatically added you to my Exclusive List of Epicly Fantabulous People, even before I knew much about you (of course you proved to be awesome when I did eventually look you up). Because, let's face it: No one can write a book that amazing and not be epic. It's just not possible.

Brief summary(In my own words):
Okay. So in this book we have Aura Salvatore---sixteen year old girl who, like every other person born after December of 1994 (the "Shift"), can see violet-hued ghosts. Maybe she would enjoy having this strange ability, but instead she's being hounded by the DMP to join their government agency to do God-knows-what.
Logan Keeley is Aura's boyfriend---funny, sarcastic, sweet, and an all around shining star at heart---who loves her to no end. That's all great and chiz until the night of his 17th birthday when he unexpectedly dies.
Now Aura can see and hear but can't feel him, while Logan's other friends (sister Siobhan, best friend Mickey) can't and think of him as nothing but dead. Logan needs to pass on to the next life---but how do you get a ghost to pass on when he refuses to leave the one he loves?
Enter totally smexy Zachary Moore, Scottish exchange student who just happens to be chosen as Aura's school astronomy partner. It seems that the world keeps giving him excuses to be close to Aura---Or is it really a coincidence at all?
While Aura struggles to let go of Logan and convince him to move on, she can't ignore the very real problems that have been following her since birth without her ever knowing it till now. And, as much as she hates to admit it, she likes Zachary way more than she should. Besides, he might be the only one with the information to save her now...

The Actual Review:

Oh. Holy. Jesus. This book is like... like...

[image error]
(No matter how hard I try, I'm incapable of doing that.)

There's just so much to praise and admire, I feel like my eyes might explode from just reading this piece of sheer epicness. So let's start at the beginning, because, despite the fact that my brain is upside down and inside-out and wants to start from the end, I know that you are not all as demented as I. So for your sake I'll go in order.

Aura:

Firstly, Aura had a good head on her shoulders. She was snarky and sarcastic and reasonable and clever all rolled up into one. At first I thought she was just one of those wannabe emos you see all over Google Images, but no. She wasn't poser at all. In fact, she was entirely her own person. I could call her a combination of punk and tomboy, but that doesn't really sum her up.

Also, she's sensible! She doesn't just go off dating this diva (I'm only kidding, Logan. You know I'd never mean that.) and expect true love forever and ever! She's wondering if he's only using her to get in her pants, but manages to do so without putting herself down and avoiding him at all costs! She's, like, you know, RATIONAL!!!

Not to mention she handles the situation perfectly. She balances between Freak-Out and I-Got-Dis on the stress scale quite nicely. I mean, she mourns when her boyfriend dies, but doesn't go totally catatonic (Yes, Bella, I'm looking at you). She's wary when this new kid starts hanging out with her all the time, but doesn't start screaming "STALKER!!!!!! DON'T KILL MEE YOU FREAK!!!" (Yes, Nora, now I'm staring at you). Aura is sensible and realistic at. the same. time.

Oh, Aura. If only the rest of these YA morons could be more like you. This bitch deserves a slow clap.

Logan:

Then there was Logan. My sweet, sweet Logan. DEAD.

Logan just smashed to death (narhharhar. Bad pun intended) all stereotypes about rock stars. The whole, they-just-do-it-to-get-laid, or, they're-all-assholes-in-real-life----it does not apply here. Logan is (besides getting a little drunk now and then) totally innocent. He loves---almost worships---Aura for who she is, not what she can do. He refuses to let anyone shoulder the blame for his stupid cause of death and doesn't want his friends and family to be sad over him.

You know, he reminds me of a puppy. He's so easily excited and and his smile can make you cheer up instantly and he definitely has the energy of a puppy.

[image error]

He also reminds me of a clean version of Cole St. Claire. Like, if Cole never did drugs or whatever he did, you would get Logan. Think about it---They both write songs, they both are sarcastic, they both laugh at silly things---- Okay, so maybe I'm not the best at listing reasons. But still.

Also, I don't know what Logan's hair is really supposed to look like, but I always picture him with Lisa Simpson spikes. It seems fitting.

ZACHARY FREAKING MOORE:

And now Zachary. Zachary, Zachary, Zachary. What would we do without you? I'll tell you what---NOTHING! WE'D ALL BE SCREWED! You are supreme and awesome and epic and aren't even the slightest bit cocky about it!!! That, my friend, is an awesome quality.

I swear to God his smile can make rainbows appear and vampires burn and any girl within a five mile radius faint. There could be a train crash going on in the background and we'd all just be standing there slackjawed staring... at Zach.

Oh Gerard. No one could ever take your place, don't worry.

I'm going to put my reasons why Zachary is so fantabulous in bullet points, because I have no faith in my ability to form coherent paragraphs.

Zachary is epic because:

•His taste in music rocks (more bad puns intended.) He likes Death Cab for Cutie! DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE! (Speaking of which, Ben now constantly reminds me of Zach. Iono why. They don't look anything alike.)

•He's a rebel against the government

•His humor is amusing

•He has a Scottish accent. HOW can you NOT adore the Scottish accent? IT'S A FREAKIN SCOTTISH ACCENT AND IT'S ADORABLE!!! (Deeper question: Why are Americans so fascinated with international dialects?)

•He's nice to people who deserve it, and then totally Challenge-Accepted to people who are bitches in disguise. Even when we don't know they're bitches in disguise, he has some type of snob-radar built into his brain.

•He got in a fist fight with a group of Aura's classmates because they were trying to beat the crap out of Megan and he didn't want Megan to seriously harm them. He was worried about Megan hurting them!! He's not the usual YA boy that's all somber, I'll be you're prince charming, Mary-Sue! No. No. He's too cool for that.

•He has my favorite haircut ever.

•He's the first fictional boy to ever make me giggle like a school girl. And that's SAYING SOMETHING.

•He's Zachary Moore.

Dude, I can tell you right now what would happen if I was in Aura's place when she met Zachary:

FANGIRL MODE, ACTIVATE!

Plot

This plot was awesome. It made SENSE. It didn't move to fast, and had short intervals of sweet moments in between all the kick-ass epicness. There were no info-dumps, and it was genuinely easy to understand without being so simple that Nora Grey a three year old could understand it.

The character's actions really matched their personalities. No one did anything unbelievably stupid, thank God. I wasn't face-palming at anything, which is a very good sign. In fact, I was cheering through most of it.

I think I scared the crap out of my peers, though. I was bored out of my mind waiting for class to start so I took out Shade and flipped to a random scene. Of course it opens to a scene where Zachary is being undeniably adorable and Aura is being awesome and snarky. Everybody in the class jumped and stared at me when I started squealing, "OH MY GOD HE IS SO FREAKIN EPICLY EPIC OH MY GODZ I'M CONVERTING TO TEAM KILT OMG MARRY HIM!!"

*Awkward laugh* Ahaha...ha... Okay, so maybe my obsession is slightly unhealthy. Whatever. I don't tell you how to live your life.

ANYWAYZ! This book is like... like... EXTRAORDINARY!!! There. That's the word I'm looking for. The characters are epic, the story is fantabulous, and the music references introduced me to a whole new line of bands to listen to.

You bet I'm reading the sequels. Yah.

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shade.

Quotes Circus Princess Liked

Jeri Smith-Ready
“For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“I shook my head. She kissed my cheek, then on her way out patted Zachary's shoulder in a way that said, If you upset Aura in her weakened state, I will end you.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“This was Bad with a capital Hell No.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“When you look at fainted stars, you'll notice that they often appear brighter from the corner of your eye. Averted vision, we call it.
Same with the answers you seek, you won't find them by staring until your eyes fall out.
They'll come when you're look somewhere else.”

“Where's your kilt?"
"How about this," he said in a low voice. "You don't ask me about haggis and bagpipes, and I won't ask you about garlic and Goodfellas.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“I know you're worried," Logan said. "You think the second I sign a deal, I'll turn into some kind of man-slut." He put his hands over mine, pressing my palms against his chest. "You've always been the only one, and you always will be.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“How about, 'I just kissed a guy at Black Weeds because you've been ignoring me. P.S. I love you.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“Aura," he whispered, "I wish I could wipe away just one of your tears. Then I'd
feel like a person again. Like I'm something more than a bunch of light.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“It's beautiful." Not a lie. But tornados were beautiful too.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“I promise I'll never tell."

"Don't promise that," he said in an ultraserious voice. "If they try to hurt you and the only way to protect yourself is to tell them what you know about me, then you tell them. Straight off, okay?"

"No."

"Promise me."

"No!"

"I will possess your heart."

Heat flared along the back of my neck. "What did you say?"

"My favorite song. 'I Will Possess Your Heart.'"

"By Death Cab for Cutie?"

He snorted. "No, the little known T.I. Hip-hop remix. Yes, Death Cab for Cutie."

... "Why? What's wrong with it?"

"Nothing, but it doesn't seem to fit you. It's kind of a sad song."

"No it's pure confident. It's not 'I want' or 'I need', none of that crap." He slipped his hand over mine. "It's 'I will.'"

A nervous laugh bubbled up. "You will, huh?"

His fingers brushed my cheek, then slid into my hair. "I will.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“I have a boyfriend who's a ghost, I thought. Of course I'm living in a dreamworld.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“He leaned in. “Kiss me, one last time.”

I called up a distant memory of his lips against mine. But this time, I kept my eyes open.

When he pulled back, Logan passed his hand over my hair. “Don’t forget me, okay?”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) I love Zachary too!! Hated Logan though! He was way sweeter than the average rock-star but still really selfish in many respects.

P.s. I can't do that eye thing either!

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Okaaaay. I have to read this book now. :)

message 3: by Mika (new) - added it

Mika Scottish accents are the shit.

Circus Princess Aren't they? I love Scottish accents. They're so entertaining.

message 5: by Mika (new) - added it

Mika They're absolutely amazing, yes.

Genocide criminal genius & master of all villainy Unknown if i ever had any accent...i would never shut up.-_-

message 7: by Mika (new) - added it

Mika Apocalypse (A Symphony of Death) wrote: "if i ever had any accent...i would never shut up.-_-"

Yes, yes, me too. I would just talk, and listen to myself talk, and have stars in my eyes... :D

Circus Princess I have an accent! WHOO! Just not a popular one.

Genocide criminal genius & master of all villainy Unknown *squints at you* what kind?

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Demolition wrote: "I have an accent! WHOO! Just not a popular one."

Lemme guess...American?

Circus Princess Nope. Philadelphian. Have you ever seen a JennaMarbles video? It sounds a little like her but more slurred and fast.

Genocide criminal genius & master of all villainy Unknown is "american" an accent?

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Apocalypse (A Symphony of Death) wrote: "is "american" an accent?"

In other countries, it is. If you lived in, say, Great Britain, or Germany, people would recognize your voice as an American because you don't sound British, or German. Especially if you have a southern drawl. (which I, thank god, don't have)

Genocide criminal genius & master of all villainy Unknown what do you sound like when you don't have an accent......

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Apocalypse (A Symphony of Death) wrote: "what do you sound like when you don't have an accent......"

*cocks head* Huh?

Genocide criminal genius & master of all villainy Unknown you know, when someone says "i don't have an accent"

Circus Princess Apocalypse (A Symphony of Death) wrote: "you know, when someone says "i don't have an accent""

Everyone has an accent. Everyone one. To your friends, maybe you don't have one, but to someone in Germany, you do. Every country has different language quirks that make it's speech stand out. You can't not have an accent.

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Demolition wrote: "Apocalypse (A Symphony of Death) wrote: "you know, when someone says "i don't have an accent""

Exactly.

Genocide criminal genius & master of all villainy Unknown have you ever heard a thick indian accent?

Circus Princess Apocalypse (A Symphony of Death) wrote: "have you ever heard a thick indian accent?"

Many times. There are a lot of Indian families around the city.

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Apocalypse (A Symphony of Death) wrote: "have you ever heard a thick indian accent?"

Yep.

Genocide criminal genius & master of all villainy Unknown they are awesome! partly cuz i'm indian myself but it sound soo cool.

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Personally, I love Irish accents, but Indian accents are pretty cool too.

Genocide criminal genius & master of all villainy Unknown ikr! irish accents are like the best!

message 26: by Mad (new) - added it

Mad Oh great. The accents. And so men like me are doomed to disappear because of accents. Doomed! Okay, I'm acting dramatic.

Circus Princess Everyone has an accent, mad. To someone who lives in Australia, I have an American accent. To people who live in America, Russians have a Russian accent. No matter where you're from, you have an accent because you speak differently than those who "do" have an accent.

message 28: by Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) (last edited Oct 12, 2012 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) We already went over this a few comments ago. :P

Circus Princess I know. It's repetitive.

message 30: by Mad (new) - added it

Mad La Dem♥nic Circus Princess wrote: "Everyone has an accent, mad. To someone who lives in Australia, I have an American accent. To people who live in America, Russians have a Russian accent. No matter where you're from, you have an ac..."

Nah, I get that, it's just that no one seems to find my accent "hot". My accent just seems like... I don't know. Thick. Awkward.

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Well, what kind of accent do you have?

message 32: by Mad (new) - added it

Mad Katja (The Insane Mutant Cat) wrote: "Well, what kind of accent do you have?"

I don't know. The Filipino accent that doesn't sound like an accent but the attempt of a primate to speak human words? Hahahaha...

message 33: by Circus Princess (last edited Oct 16, 2012 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Circus Princess Mad wrote: "Katja (The Insane Mutant Cat) wrote: "Well, what kind of accent do you have?"

You're Filipino? Stop. right. there. You're automatically awesome. All of the Filipino people I've ever met have been epic. Besides, I don't think the accent sounds bad :)