Anne's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

1720620
May 13, 14

bookshelves: dystopian, fairytale, sci-fi, young-adult, kindle, retelling, read-in-2014
Read from April 28 to May 05, 2014

Cinderella with cyborgs!

So I'm pretty late to be jumping on the bandwagon, but this was really good! I know I normally gobble up any retelling, but when this first came out, there were so many iffy reviews that I gave it a pass.
Stupid.
I should have checked it out for myself.

So you have a pretty faithfulish retelling going on here. Of course, since it's sci-fi Cinderella, there's are going to be some substitutions to the carriage and glass slipper.
But they were really cool substitutions! And you could still definitely tell that this was the Cinderella story.

And the ending was soooo good! It seems that Cinderella won't be the only fairlytale that gets retold in the Lunar Chronicles...

If you've been putting this off because of bad reviews, you may want to reconsider.
35 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

04/28/2014 marked as: currently-reading
05/13/2014 marked as: read

message 1: by Alejandro (new) - added it

Alejandro Definitely I want get into this book series soon :D

Anne You will love it!

message 3: by Alejandro (new) - added it

Alejandro Anne wrote: "You will love it!"

Awesome! :D

Anne I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Now I just need to clear out some of these books so I can get the next one in the series!

message 5: by Alejandro (new) - added it

Alejandro Anne wrote: "I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Now I just need to clear out some of these books so I can get the next one in the series!"

I understand the feeling ;)

Ronyell Awesome review Anna! I read this book pretty late too, but it was worth it!

Anne Thanks, Ronyell! I hate it when I miss the boat on a great series. The upside is that I don't have as long to wait in between books, though! ;)

Ronyell Anne wrote: "Thanks, Ronyell! I hate it when I miss the boat on a great series. The upside is that I don't have as long to wait in between books, though! ;)"

I agree! Now I can just read up on Scarlet right away instead of waiting for it when it first came out!

Anne Yes! Even Cress is out now, but I haven't been able to get to it!

Ronyell Anne wrote: "Yes! Even Cress is out now, but I haven't been able to get to it!"

Me either! I really need to get on the ball with this!

message 11: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Too many books! Too many books! :)

Ronyell Anne wrote: "Too many books! Too many books! :)"

Agree! I already have like 4 or 5 books waiting to be read!

message 13: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne I sooo far behind in what I want to read, and then something pops up that looks interesting, and I'm like, Oh! Shiny!...
I'm sure you understand, Ronyell. LOL

Ronyell Anne wrote: "I sooo far behind in what I want to read, and then something pops up that looks interesting, and I'm like, Oh! Shiny!...
I'm sure you understand, Ronyell. LOL"

LOL! I sure do!

anjuli Good to know! I'd been putting it off for a while too. I started reading couple days ago. So far so good...

message 16: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne I'm fully hooked at this point. Eagerly awaiting the last book!

message 17: by anjuli (last edited Mar 29, 2015 05:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

anjuli I think I've only reached like ch 7 or something. And, I'm liking it so far. Unexpected.

BTW, you're not the only one with the "oh! shiny" syndrome with the books. It is me too, lol. Keeps life interesting though!

message 18: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Shiny is my downfall...
I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, though. There are several freebie shorts that you can read online from this series, btw.

message 19: by April (new) - added it

April Thompson I need to jump on this too

message 20: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne You do, April! If yo like sci-fi & fairytales you'll probably like this a lot.

message 21: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim I have Fairest on audio on hold at the library! I enjoyed this first book, but felt like the stories are getting better as they go, so I'm looking forward to the next one. (It doesn't hurt that I love retellings and science fiction.)

message 22: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Oh! You're gonna loooove Fairest! Very creepy chick. But I felt bad for her too. :(

message 23: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim I'm constantly getting distracted by new books! Which makes it harder the more people I follow on Goodreads. I see something cool reviewed and if my library has it, I put it on hold. Then it goes to the top of my list and everything bumps down.

anjuli I finally finished it. I am hooked. Glad I decided to read it. Where are the freebie shorts you mentioned? On the author's website?
Do you recommend reading Fairest before I read #2 and #3? Cuz I already started Scarlet

message 25: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne You can read them in any order, but I'd go ahead and finish Scarlet first.
Here's the link that lets you see all of the books. If you go to my reviews of the novellas, I left a link to the freebie in each one.

anjuli ok. Thank you :)