Anne's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

1720620
Dec 13, 2015

bookshelves: dystopian, fairytale, sci-fi, young-adult, kindle, retelling, read-in-2014
Read from April 28 to May 05, 2014

Cinderella with cyborgs!

description

So I'm pretty late to be jumping on the bandwagon, but this was really good! I know I normally gobble up any retelling, but when this first came out, there were so many iffy reviews that I gave it a pass.
Stupid.
I should have checked it out for myself.

So you have a pretty faithfulish retelling going on here. Of course, since it's sci-fi Cinderella, there are going to be some substitutions to the carriage and glass slipper.
But they were really cool substitutions! And you could still definitely tell that this was the Cinderella story.

And the ending was soooo good! It seems that Cinderella won't be the only fairlytale that gets retold in the Lunar Chronicles...

If you've been putting this off because of bad reviews, you may want to reconsider.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

message 1: by Alejandro (new) - added it

Alejandro Definitely I want get into this book series soon :D

Anne You will love it!

message 3: by Alejandro (new) - added it

Alejandro Anne wrote: "You will love it!"

Awesome! :D

Anne I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Now I just need to clear out some of these books so I can get the next one in the series!

message 5: by Alejandro (new) - added it

Alejandro Anne wrote: "I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Now I just need to clear out some of these books so I can get the next one in the series!"

I understand the feeling ;)

Ronyell Awesome review Anna! I read this book pretty late too, but it was worth it!

Anne Thanks, Ronyell! I hate it when I miss the boat on a great series. The upside is that I don't have as long to wait in between books, though! ;)

Ronyell Anne wrote: "Thanks, Ronyell! I hate it when I miss the boat on a great series. The upside is that I don't have as long to wait in between books, though! ;)"

I agree! Now I can just read up on Scarlet right away instead of waiting for it when it first came out!

Anne Yes! Even Cress is out now, but I haven't been able to get to it!

Ronyell Anne wrote: "Yes! Even Cress is out now, but I haven't been able to get to it!"

Me either! I really need to get on the ball with this!

message 11: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Too many books! Too many books! :)

Ronyell Anne wrote: "Too many books! Too many books! :)"

Agree! I already have like 4 or 5 books waiting to be read!

message 13: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne I sooo far behind in what I want to read, and then something pops up that looks interesting, and I'm like, Oh! Shiny!...
I'm sure you understand, Ronyell. LOL

Ronyell Anne wrote: "I sooo far behind in what I want to read, and then something pops up that looks interesting, and I'm like, Oh! Shiny!...
I'm sure you understand, Ronyell. LOL"

LOL! I sure do!

anjuli Good to know! I'd been putting it off for a while too. I started reading couple days ago. So far so good...

message 16: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne I'm fully hooked at this point. Eagerly awaiting the last book!

message 17: by anjuli (last edited Mar 29, 2015 05:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

anjuli I think I've only reached like ch 7 or something. And, I'm liking it so far. Unexpected.

BTW, you're not the only one with the "oh! shiny" syndrome with the books. It is me too, lol. Keeps life interesting though!

message 18: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Shiny is my downfall...
I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, though. There are several freebie shorts that you can read online from this series, btw.

message 19: by April (new) - added it

April Thompson I need to jump on this too

message 20: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne You do, April! If yo like sci-fi & fairytales you'll probably like this a lot.

message 21: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim I have Fairest on audio on hold at the library! I enjoyed this first book, but felt like the stories are getting better as they go, so I'm looking forward to the next one. (It doesn't hurt that I love retellings and science fiction.)

message 22: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Oh! You're gonna loooove Fairest! Very creepy chick. But I felt bad for her too. :(

message 23: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim I'm constantly getting distracted by new books! Which makes it harder the more people I follow on Goodreads. I see something cool reviewed and if my library has it, I put it on hold. Then it goes to the top of my list and everything bumps down.

anjuli I finally finished it. I am hooked. Glad I decided to read it. Where are the freebie shorts you mentioned? On the author's website?
Do you recommend reading Fairest before I read #2 and #3? Cuz I already started Scarlet

message 25: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne You can read them in any order, but I'd go ahead and finish Scarlet first.
Here's the link that lets you see all of the books. If you go to my reviews of the novellas, I left a link to the freebie in each one.

anjuli ok. Thank you :)

Kat Stark retellings are always nice. I don't think I rated any lower than a three because I'm a suckered for them. love all the reviews Anne...as if you already didn't know but it's always nice to remind you :D

message 28: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Thanks, Kat. I don't know why this one is showing up, though. I read it a few years ago. I think I screwed up something with my phone, because I was checking for the release date of the last book, looking through all of these, and now it's saying I read it this year...nope. GAH!

Basia Loved the review, Anne! And listen, you're definitely not the only one who jumped in late. I read Cinder about a month ago and am reading Scarlet now. It's looking to be as good as Cinder was, if not a little heavier on the sci fi side, which is never a bad thing, if it's me you're asking. : )

message 30: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne No, I've read everything...EVERYTHING (almost) that I can get my hands on. There's a freebie in my email from the author's website that I still need to get to. Maybe today?
Anyway. Yes, they are all awesome, and I'm just waiting for Winter to come out! Somehow, while checking my phone for the release date, I f-ed up and this one is showing up in my feed. So sorry! But keep reading these, Basia! Also you must read Fairest! DO NOT SKIP just because it's a novella! FANTASTIC!!

message 31: by [Name Redacted] (last edited Sep 24, 2015 08:25PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

[Name Redacted] Since you like retellings, have you ever read Caliban's Hour? Shakespeare, not fairy tales, but it has that feeling to it...

message 32: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne No, I haven't. Does it matter whether or not you're a Shakespeare junkie? I know a few plays but that's it. And the only one I've ever actually read was Much Ado About Nothing.

[Name Redacted] Anne wrote: "No, I haven't. Does it matter whether or not you're a Shakespeare junkie? I know a few plays but that's it. And the only one I've ever actually read was Much Ado About Nothing."

Hmmm, it would probably help if you had at least seen "The Tempest" or knew its story.

message 34: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Oooook. Well, I'll have to put The Tempest on my to-read list then. Grrrr. And the list grows longer...

[Name Redacted] Anne wrote: "Oooook. Well, I'll have to put The Tempest on my to-read list then. Grrrr. And the list grows longer..."

*tents fingers*

Excellent...

message 36: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne God. I'm scared now...

Sydney Kate Damn my reason for not reading this so far is the exact same reason you gave....the bad reviews really crucify this. I may have to be this on the maybe-read list.

message 38: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Try it! Now, it really ISN'T for everyone. I have plenty of friends who just couldn't get into it, but my friends who DID? Screaming fangirls! Every one of them!

Sydney Kate Ahaha alright you've convinced me. It's on the to read list. Might as well give it a try and see for myself. I have loved books that don't seem to be too popular with other readers.

message 40: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Good! Let me know which side of the fence you fall on, Sydney.

Stepheny Great review, Anne! I agree- these are so much better than I expected. When I saw all the people reading them and raving over them I wanted to wait a little bit before picking them up. I typically don't agree with the popular opinion. These books definitely surprised me- and so far they have each been awesome. I am still on the waiting list for Winter but can't wait to start it! :D

message 42: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne I'm still waiting on Winter, too! Stupid library!

Stepheny Ugh! Right?! I'm tempted to just buy it... My bank account disagrees. Lol

message 44: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Mine too! This is not a good time of year for me to make 'extra' purchases! Ho! Ho! Ho!

Reading Corner Great review :) x

message 46: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Reading Corner wrote: "Great review :) x"

Thanks! Have you not read these yet? Get on it!

Elizabeth I still really need to get to the sequel of this one, so this serves as a good reminder.

message 48: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Elizabeth wrote: "I still really need to get to the sequel of this one, so this serves as a good reminder."

What?! Whaaaat?! Go, go now!