Donna's Reviews > Soon I Will Be Invincible

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman

Aug 19, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, scifi-fantasy-ebook-club, science-fiction
Read from August 14 to 17, 2011

I didn't know what to expect from this book. I never read comic books growing up (except for the Archies) and have never been into superheroes. I have no idea how this book stacks up against other superhero books. All I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It reminded me very much of a VH1 Behind the Music episode. A couple of superheroes meet when they are young, gather some other members, form the Champions, and become stars, fighting crime and saving the world. Then comes the in-fighting and drama and marriages within the group and their eventual breakup. Fast forward a few years and the group comes back together for one last performance.

The chapters alternate in viewpoint between Fatale, the new, young member of the band group, brought in to replace the drummer one of the heroes who died in a drug overdose saving the world, and Dr. Impossible. Dr. Impossible is a super-villain, the smartest man on Earth who has been bested by the Champions a dozen times. He is back for one more try at world domination. He is quite a sympathetic character, rather lonely and down on his luck, who keeps plugging away at the villain thing, because, hey, what else are you gonna do?

The book was funny and entertaining and satirical without being mean, which is the way I like my satire. I can see a lot of people enjoying this who would normally never read a book about superheroes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soon I Will Be Invincible.