Elizabeth (Liz)'s Reviews > Because of You

Because of You by Jessica Scott

Dec 03, 13

bookshelves: contemporary-romance-read, from-kp-read, ebook-read, ebook-gift-read
Read from October 19 to 20, 2012

Finished it. This was a hard book to read, for me. Need some time to consider what I actually thought about the story, and what rating I want to give it.

10/21/12.....I think the only thing I would add is that I appreciate Jessica Scott's willingness to tell this story, of what it takes to go to war, live through war, and deal with the aftermath of war. It's a reality that we should all be aware of, and it isn't prettied up for storytelling purposes here. My personal feeling, for this genre, for me, there was maybe too much unrelenting reality of life during and after war. The entire story, from beginning to end, was indescribably sad. Even the moments of levity were built on sadness. There just seemed to me to be no moment of personal triumph or breakthrough for any of the characters, and I have to feel that, at some point, in a story with this much pain and reality. I guess what I can say, is if the mark of success for a writer is to make the reader feel, then Jessica Scott met that mark...and then some.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of You.

10/19/2012
22.0% "This is not an easy or fun read at this point. It feels very real. Maybe a little too real for me. And I know the worst is still to come in the story. I honestly don't know how soldiers go to war, live through war, deal with the aftermath of war. Truthfully. I just can't fathom what it takes to be that person." 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Scott I hope you enjoy it!

Karla I loved it Elizabeth! Someday I hope to expand on my review. I want to read the 2nd book before the blog hop. Keep us posted!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I look forward to what you have to say when you're able to write your review, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth (Liz) Kristen wrote: "I look forward to what you have to say when you're able to write your review, Elizabeth."

Thanks, Kristen. It was so almost exclusively (and unrelentingly) militarily focused that I found it very difficult to read. I don't really want to say this, but I found it quite depressing. It's like there's no let up. My father worked most of his adult life (after the Air Force) with the Veteran's Administration, so I know what goes on in this story is all too real. I have tremendous respect and gratitude toward our men and women in uniform, but, maybe this was just too much military for me. I don't know, and now I'm rambling;) Honestly, my real problem is that I feel like a b*tch for thinking and feeling what I do about this book. Given the subject matter, I don't feel good about the way I want to rate the story. I have to find a way to be honest about it without coming off like an ungrateful you-know-what.

message 5: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Oct 20, 2012 03:21PM) (new) - added it

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I know where you're coming from, Elizabeth. I hear this author is good but these type of books are hard for me to read too. I don't enjoy them. I know you'll do a fabulous job explaining your feelings in your review. I'd read something happy and feel good next, then tackle the review after that. If I recall right, there's a yummy Rock Star book we were swooning over. :)

Elizabeth (Liz) YES!! Rockstar book is up next! You're so right about that;-)

Jill Well said, E! I really think JS is a very good writer of military fiction. But where she doesn't quite pull it off for me is in the romance.

Karla Wow...you hit the nail on the head Elizabeth! I appreciated the realism of the book, although it caused me a tremendous amount of angst too. We all see things differently, but I felt that even though there were overwhelming moments of sadness, when the "happy" had a chance to shine through, it brought me some comfort and filled me with hope.

Elizabeth (Liz) Jill wrote: "Well said, E! I really think JS is a very good writer of military fiction. But where she doesn't quite pull it off for me is in the romance."

Thanks, Jilly! I have to agree with you. And, military fiction is not my genre of choice:) There's more than enough war and reporting of war as it is. The last thing I want to do is sit down and read more about it....especially when I think I'm getting a romance.

Elizabeth (Liz) Karla wrote: "Wow...you hit the nail on the head Elizabeth! I appreciated the realism of the book, although it caused me a tremendous amount of angst too. We all see things differently, but I felt that even thou..."

Thanks, Karla:) You are too right. We all see things differently when we read, and that's the great thing about reading. I'm glad you were able to find the 'happy' in it:)

message 11: by Duchess Nicole (last edited Oct 24, 2012 11:16AM) (new)

Duchess Nicole Oddly, your review makes me want to read it more. But it's good to know before hand that it focuses less on the romance and more on the military aspect. I definitely would have expected the opposite from the blurb and the cover.

Elizabeth (Liz) Hope you enjoy it, Nicole!! It wasn't right for me, but that doesn't mean it won't be perfect for you:)