All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > In the Forests of the Night

In the Forests of the Night by Kersten Hamilton

Dec 02, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia, earc

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Kersten Hamilton does a wonderful job picking up the threads from the first Goblin Wars book and weaving them seamlessly into IN THE FORESTS OF THE NIGHT. Her ability to drop information unobtrusively into the narrative was important, as it took me a few chapters to get reacquainted with the large cast of characters.

That getting to know you process is rewarding, however, as Teagan and her friends deal with the frenetic aftermath of their trip to Mag Mell. Though the overwhelming plot was a natural extension of the story (Teagan is under siege, with no clear path forward to secure the safety of her family and friends), I struggled to keep up with her chaotic life. Teagan is dealing with the changes and losses from TYGER, TYGER, reacting to present threats from the Highborn, and still keeping her family afloat between school and work. That’s a lot for anyone’s plate. It is not until the story is at it's most dangerous that things take on an eerie calm, as if the direct conflict itself smooths the way for Teagan to assess and solve the problems before her.

Despite my initial confusion, once Teagan finds her feet I couldn’t put the book down. That transition came late enough in the story to put my rating at just under 4 bats, but the strong ending has me eagerly anticipating book three. Hamilton’s fantastic character development makes IN THE FORESTS OF THE NIGHT worth a try for any reader, but to those who loved TYGER TYGER, this book is a must read.

Sexual Content:
Kissing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Forests of the Night.