Kristi's Reviews > Everything Matters!

Everything Matters! by Ron Currie Jr.

Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: reading-challenge-2011
Read on August 15, 2011

I thought the premise of this book was really interesting: from the time that he's in the womb, the main character (Junior) knows the exact date and manner in which the world will end, informed by a semi-omniscient voice that continues to talk to him throughout his life. Indeed, one of the most interesting sections of the book was the opening, which chronicles Junior's experiences in the womb and as a young child, spelling out those experiences and impressions often lost to adults. The book follows Junior's life and his dysfunctional family as the unavoidable end approaches, largely probing the way that Junior chooses to deal with the present, knowing that it will all soon come to an end.

I thought that sections of this book were really brilliant, but at several points, it makes big leaps in content and style that seemed to be rather disconnected. The first part of the book is all about dysfunctional families, while the second takes on the tone of a spy novel and the main character suddenly emerges as someone so brilliant that he can find a cure for his father's cancer in a week. I felt like the last part of the novel hit me over the head with the theme--it left the impression of an extended epilogue, despite the fact that it was fairly lengthy. But overall, there's a lot of originality in this book in terms of the characters, the emotions and the issues at hand. I just found it somewhat inconsistent. Recommended for fans of science fiction or people who like to ponder "what it all means."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Matters!.