Holjo's Reviews > Jacob

Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank

Aug 14, 11

Read in August, 2011

Jacob is a demon Enforcer, meaning he polices his species in the same way an Internal Affairs department might police the police. His job is to make sure his fellow demons are not placing humans or any other species in danger. Intimate relationships between demons and humans are absolutely forbidden, but demons are often physically drawn to humans during certain times in the moon’s cycle. It is Jacob’s job to catch and punish those who would break the demon rules. As a result, he is despised and feared by most of his community. His one friend is the demon King Noah, with whom he shares a trusting and loyal (although subservient) relationship.

Jacob’s world is turned upside down when he meets a young woman named Isabella (Bella). Having never been tempted before to break the demon laws, he finds himself uncontrollably drawn to Bella. To further complicate matters, he discovers that Bella has the ability to kill demons, something that humans should not be able to do.

After bringing themselves before the King, Jacob and Bella become a subject of study and speculation. Demons believe in destiny, as well as their ancient prophecies, and the King believes that Bella is meant to be part of their world. As Bella researches the demon library, she discovers more and more information to tie her fate to the demon species. Discussions with one of the demon elders confirm their suspicions.

I had a hard time getting through this book. In fact, there were times I didn’t want to finish it. After careful consideration, I think the audio book format was the main reason I wanted to stop. The story might have been more palatable if I had read the actual book. Don’t get me wrong, the book itself had a lot of problems. But nothing in the book itself was quite as bad as listening to the ridiculous voices the narrator used on the audio book. The voice of Jacob sounded like Count Chocula, which is exactly what I pictured every time he spoke. Bella’s voice was permanently breathy/sleepy, as if she was trying to seduce someone every time she opened her mouth. Seriously? Do women really walk around talking like that? Not any women I know. The narrator was Xe Sands, and I intend to avoid any audio book read by her. Ugh, it was terrible.

With that out of the way, I’ll move on to the book. In a word, it was boring. With the exception of the last 2-3 chapters, the whole book was about the feelings/attraction/draw between Jacob and Bella. There was no identifiable plot, no subplots, no adventure, no excitement, and no one else’s point of view. There weren’t even villains in the story (except in discussions between the characters) until the very end. Lastly, there were no description of the settings, so it feels like the characters are just standing in empty rooms the whole time.

The ONLY redeeming quality of this book is that the idea was interesting. Demons walking the Earth among us as the good guys, each with different powers based on their element and age, here to protect humans from darker forces while falling in love along the way…. well, it sounded like something new, and it was. It’s too bad that the interesting idea was written so poorly.

What wasn’t original was the main character’s names…. Jacob and Bella? Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight and New Moon were both published before this book was. Out of an endless supply of name choices, the author chose to use two of the three primary names from one of the highest selling paranormal series of all time? It was a poor choice.

Sorry readers, I can’t recommend this one. Perhaps one of Jacquelyn Frank’s other series would be more worthwhile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jacob.