Stella ☢FAYZ☢ Chen's Reviews > Seizure

Seizure by Kathy Reichs
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3350026
's review
Jan 06, 12

Read in January, 2012

God this is painful to do.
I have to admit, I didn't finish this book. Granted, I put this in the "I might try this later" pile so maybe I might give this a second chance.

What I did not like about this book:
1. The super cool setting was gone. Virals was successful because of LIRI, the high tech research insititute Kathy has created. Much like the Jeffersonian in her Temperance Brennan books, I loved it! The beginning of Seizure was so focused on what has happened in the time between Virals and Seizure that LIRI was only mentioned and never acutally explored. I don't know if Tory and the Virals ever did go back, but I can't stand where the story is going.

2. School drama. Holy effin' god, I hate the fact that I try to read a sci-fi/mystery that bitchy school drama has to always sneak in to ruin the day. I read and enjoyed Virals because it was mostly "WEEEE LET'S GO ON AN ADVENTURE AND SOLVE THIS MYSTERY" type of thing, but the beginning of Seizure was so Mean GIrls that I wanted to call and yell that Kathy.

3. Tory. I never did enjoy Tory's character but this book was the killer. She has what I call "Extremely Motherly Towards Others syndrome". This disease is transmitted by stupid editors and "literary consultants" who believe teens enjoy reading strong-headed female characters. I laughed out loud when Kathy thanked all the people who made her feel comfortable writing to an unknown audience: The Teen population. Well, I say: SCREW YOU editors of Kathy Reichs. You ruined her fantastic story by putting in what you thought would appeal to young adult audiences. I h8 u && I neva want 2 read another book from u guys again. U guys all think we talk liek tis, rite?

TTYL, xoxo, Stella.
14 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seizure.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Matt *slow claps*

I agree 100%! I read it, but it wasn't worth it, not really.


Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen -bows- Thank you, thank you. I needed that to get me out of Virals depression.

I kind of wish Kathy had stopped with Virals.


message 3: by Matt (last edited Jan 06, 2012 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matt Stella ☢FAYZ☢ wrote: "-bows- Thank you, thank you. I needed that to get me out of Virals depression.

I kind of wish Kathy had stopped with Virals."


When I read the first, I thought it had longevity, if done right. But this one was really poor, and I was kinda like "Was the first this bad, and I didn't notice...?" It was way too cheesy.

And I totally agree mother thing. Every time Tory did the "pack leader" thing, or the "motherhen" thing I rolled my eyes. The whole book, really, was one big eyeroll-fest. My eyes have little muscles now from all the exercise.


Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen I know! I thought: "Hey, this series can become something like the children mystery books I read when I was a kid." You know, the ones what seems to never stop? Yeah. I was hoping the books will be that good. Unfortunately, it failed miserably and makes me wonder where did Kathy go wrong? Maybe Virals was like this but we ignored it because it was finally a break from this dystopians we've been getting.

On to another note, any character that displays mother-hen qualities make me dislike the book. It happens every time and I wonder if my eye muscles are as strong as yours now.
I wish the boys will just rebel and kick Tory's butt.


Matt I think I can find Kathy's number, if you're serious about this.


Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Maybe I can add in the fact that I enjoyed the first book so I won't offend her that much.

Also, I am so awkward on the phone that I'll just sound like an idiot.


message 7: by Matt (last edited Apr 27, 2012 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matt Stella ☢FAYZ☢ wrote: "Maybe I can add in the fact that I enjoyed the first book so I won't offend her that much.

Also, I am so awkward on the phone that I'll just sound like an idiot."


"Hiiii, Kathy? Suuuuup. Yeah, I'm just a fan...that Googled you...but that turned up nothing, so I called on my connections...BUT ANYWAYS...yeah...I LOVED VIRALS, BUT SEIZURE SUC-Kathy? Hello?"


Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Matt wrote: "Stella ☢FAYZ☢ wrote: "Maybe I can add in the fact that I enjoyed the first book so I won't offend her that much.

Also, I am so awkward on the phone that I'll just sound like an idiot."

"Hiiii, Ka..."


Dead on! I would probably sound like that with much more stuttering in between. xD I think with the money Kathy has, you'll sent ninjas after me after that.


Rebecca Martinez Love the honesty, but you should bare through the school crap and drama, because the mystery they go on this time will definatly knock your socks off. Seriously Dude you won't be sorry, but I do have to say Tori has a serious case of "Etremely Motherly Towards Others syndrome" It needs to end!!!!!!!!!!!


message 10: by Matt (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matt Rebecca wrote: "Love the honesty, but you should bare through the school crap and drama, because the mystery they go on this time will definatly knock your socks off. Seriously Dude you won't be sorry, but I do ha..."

I did finish the book, and it wasn't exactly awesome, to put it nicely. It was kind of predictable, following the usual "treasure that solves our problems" plotline. It wasn't bad, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first.


Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Rebecca wrote: "Love the honesty, but you should bare through the school crap and drama, because the mystery they go on this time will definatly knock your socks off. Seriously Dude you won't be sorry, but I do ha..."

Usually I feel pretty guilty abandoning a book but I just felt the plot wasn't really exciting. I've got so many books on my to-read shelf that I probably won't pick this up a again, sorry.

P.S.: I usually trust Matt's opinion so if he didn't enjoy this book very much, I doubt I will like the ending very much either.


Janet Martin It's a kids' book, and a fine adventure story for teen and preteen girls. I don't think it's fair to judge it by adult standards--as a grown up book, I'd rate it a 3 just because of the convenience of plot points, but I think that flaw is overcome by well motivated action and a fascinating picture of how to problem solve. I think you would have been a little more sensitive to the school "crap," had you read long enough to see how Tory actually handles those issues.


message 13: by Matt (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matt Janet wrote: "It's a kids' book, and a fine adventure story for teen and preteen girls. I don't think it's fair to judge it by adult standards--as a grown up book, I'd rate it a 3 just because of the convenience..."

But it's by Kathy Reichs. She's not exactly new to this. Maybe to the teen genre she is, but even then, you'd expect a higher caliber of story.


Janet Martin There are a number of fine adult writers who make a hash of kids' books--I absolutely hated the writing down Grisham did with his Boone series (at least the 1st which was so unmotivated and downright silly that I didn't read any others), but I found Seisure fast paced and fun. I did listen to the audiobook version and often a good narration can move a listener past things that might bother one a bit more in print. My main complaint was that Tory continued to deceive her father, and my second was that she was too "supergirl."


message 15: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri Sears What an incredibly rude review.


Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Teri wrote: "What an incredibly rude review."

I am sorry, Teri, if my review offended you. I could play the classic "this is my review, I can write whatever I want" card but you've probably seen it done before. So I am going to say, if harsh/critical reviews didn't exist, do adoring/positive reviews really matter? If every reviewer was forced to "let them down easy," wouldn't the review spectrum be skewed? There won't be a big difference between the books I enjoyed and the books "that weren't for me." Positive/glowing reviews are so sought after because harsh reviews exist and no author wants them. They force a writer to work harder and strive for a glowing review.

That's just my opinion.


message 17: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri Sears I would never suggest that all reviews be positive, or glowing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether good or bad.

However, negative reviews can be written without being rude. Dislike the writing, the plot, the characters… dislike it all you want. I enjoy reading why others dislike stories. I may even agree with what someone else doesn't like about a book, even if I still enjoyed the book myself.

But there is no reason to attack an author, or the editors, on a personal level because you didn't enjoy a story, which is what "SCREW YOU" and "I h8 u" represent.


Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Teri wrote: "I would never suggest that all reviews be positive, or glowing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether good or bad.

However, negative reviews can be written without being rude. Dislike the..."


Oops. I think you missed my point for why I said "screw you" and "I h8 u." Recall point #2. Kathy Reichs wrote teens as if they were on Mean Girls, which fortunately, reality isn't quite that bad. The sudden change in writing style in point 3 was used to mimic how Seizure decided to portray its characters - snobby, hormonal, and facepalm-worthy teens.


message 19: by Nova (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nova Laurinaitis Seems legit. You're entitled to your opinion right? Write whatever the hell you want~


Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Nova wrote: "Seems legit. You're entitled to your opinion right? Write whatever the hell you want~"

Thank you for your support Nova.


Tommy Haha, had to laugh at this review, I do agree with your point 2... allot of authors tend to think teens text speak and it really gets under my skin. However I didn't think it was too bad in this book especially in comparison with others.

For point three I agree Tory does seem to have a touch of that terrible disease although again it didn't seem over the top to me... I think Reichs is going for an alpha characterization with Tory but instead of a take charge trait she seems to be leaning toward a mothering role which if it goes any further in the later books i'll probably start getting pissed.

As for part one I do agree big time, it was really annoying me and I had to look at this as a sort of side story (ie. book 1.5) because as you said, it seemed to veer off the main story arc which kind of defeats the purpose of being in a series.

Having said all that I really did enjoy the book. I know that probably sounds ridiculously contradictory but the treasure hunt and problem solving was fun and intriguing while we got to see the parvovirus develop further. I wouldn't say it was brilliant but it was enjoyable and i'm looking forward to see where Reichs takes the rest of the series.

Thanks for your review.


Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Tommy wrote: "Haha, had to laugh at this review, I do agree with your point 2... allot of authors tend to think teens text speak and it really gets under my skin. However I didn't think it was too bad in this bo..."

Thank you Tommy for sharing your thoughts on the book. I agree with many of the points you brought up.


message 23: by Matt (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matt Tommy wrote: "Haha, had to laugh at this review, I do agree with your point 2... allot of authors tend to think teens text speak and it really gets under my skin. However I didn't think it was too bad in this bo..."

I think that was the most reasonable and amicable commentary I've ever read on a book, at least on Goodreads.


back to top