brian 's Reviews > Last Evenings on Earth

Last Evenings on Earth by Roberto Bolaño

193310
Apr 10, 08

1) viva susan sontag! bolaño is the 'it' writer of the moment - and my rebellious, contrarian, and bratty self wanted to hate him. or just not read him. then i caught sontag's seal of approval and knew i hadda dive head-first into the 'ol zeitgeist. lucky me.

2) these tales aren't about all that much, but, holyshit brother!, is there all that much there. most of 'em owe a debt to borges in their ultra-obsession with books, writers, & reading; a few actually follow the master's game of tracking a life solely through one's written work... but, it's really bolaño's prose and structure which is the killer: rather than place us inside a scene as it happens, the narrator methodically recounts it from a later time... a muted, elegiac buildup that crashes louder in one's heart than the throwdown drama of most other books.

a great starting point for the bolañeophyte.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Evenings on Earth.

message 1: by Tosh (new)

Tosh And...What is it about this book?

brian   my apologies... tosh's comment doesn't seem to make sense. he wrote it before i posted a review.

you should read this tosh; i think you'd dig it.

Jessica I like the way Bolano constructs stories...there is something entirely 'natural' (seeming) about them...this collection is an excellent antidote to any Cr Wr fiction workshops out there! Bolano is a much better teacher, by far, in my op. of course!

message 4: by Ann M (new)

Ann M Maybe I'll try Last Evenings on Earth. I wasn't captivated by The Savage Detectives, although I thought the writing was good.