Kristen's Reviews > Carnal Gift

Aug 14, 2011

bookshelves: historical-romance, 4-star, steamy
Read in September, 2011

4 stars

I feel fortunate that my first experience reading Carnal Gift was the version Pamela Clare originally intended for publication. In this book we are given Jamie's full story. How his torment and guilt over Nicholas' supposed death affected his decisions throughout the story. The elimination of this contributing factor would have left Jamie's character virtually prosaic and the overall impact of the book sorely lacking.

I enjoyed this book. The romance between Jamie and Brighid captured my heart and imagination. I found myself rooting for them personally as well as romantically. The secondary characters were wonderfully developed and I was just as captivated with their stories as I was with the protagonists. The Irish history was fascinating and gave me a new respect for these indomitable  people.

The ending of this book was fabulous. Very poignant, heartwarming, and memorable.

Congratulations Ms. Clare. I'm happy you were finally able to share with your readers the novel you always intended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnal Gift.

4.0% 6 comments
09/08/2011
30.0% "I'm liking the side romance between Finn and Muirin. I really like Finn's character. So far, he's been very admirable."
09/08/2011
33.0% "Question. I loaned my "Ride the Fire" book to my sister so I can't check for the answer. Jamie says he saw three charred bodies when he went to rescue Nicholas, but the indians only burnt the two bodies I thought. I can't remember, did they add another body to make it look like they killed Nicholas?" 4 comments
09/08/2011
53.0% "Stupid, stupid Ruaidhri. He's going to get himself killed. He's too impulsive."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Karla Excellent!

message 3: by Kristen (last edited Sep 10, 2011 09:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Sabrina wrote: "This series looks really good Kristen, I'm going to add it to my TBR list! I love western romance... bring on the cowboys! :-)"

Pamela Clare is one of my favorite authors. Surrender, Untamed, and Ride the Fire and my favorite books. Ride the Fire is the next book after this one and Surrender is the first book and Untamed is the second book in the MacKinnon's Rangers series. The hero and heroine in Untamed are my all time favorite couple. Sweet release and this book are very good but not in the same league as those other three books.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim This is a reissue? Did Pamela rewrite this one?

Kristen Yes. This is her original version of the story with the added 100 pages that were previously removed from the manuscript before the origanl publication. Here's the link about it. http://www.pamelaclare.com/notes_carn...

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Hmmmmm....I read this couple of years ago. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

message 7: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Yes, very interesting. Especially if it makes his character more understandable. Great review, Kristen. ☺

message 8: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Question: March is coming up, so do I need to read book #1 in this series b/f I can read this one?

Kristen You don't have to but I would. It will help make book 3 Ride the Fire more poignant. I read Ride the Fire first, then read books 1&2 once they were released on Kindle. Reading the books out of order reallly wasn't that big of a deal, considering once I finished reading Ride the Fire it became one of my all time favorite books. The ending would have been more poignant if I had read the other books first though.

The fist book is PC debut book, and though it's good, its no where near the other two books level. With that said, even her debut book is better than the average book. Hope that helps.

message 10: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Thanks, Kristen! It does help. ☺

message 11: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Leighton Totally love the premise of this book. How the heat level of the love scenes on this and Ride the Fire? Hope you don't mind me asking you so many questions, lol.

Kristen The fist two books in this series are Pamela Clare's first novels. They aren't as good and the last book in this series, Ride the Fire (you can read that book before the first two? which is what I'd suggest), or her Ranger series. Wow! Now those books are steamy!

The heat is just as steamy as Sinful. A bit more even.

message 13: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Leighton Kristen wrote: "The fist two books in this series are Pamela Clare's first novels. They aren't as good and the last book in this series, Ride the Fire (you can read that book before the first two? which is what I'..."

Ok, sounds like I need to start with Surrender. My library only has 1 of her books! so I will be purchasing. But both you and Gina have given me glowing reviews, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed. :-)

Kristen Yaay! I really hope they work for you.

message 15: by ♥ℳelody (new) - added it

♥ℳelody Planning on buying this one. So is the original printed version (old cover) the non-edited version or is re-printed copy include the 100 pages?

Kristen Both versions are edited. It's just the old version doesn't have the extra 100+ pages. Pamela Clare was able to buy the rights to this book (and the first book in the series) and because of that, she was able to include the pages the publisher originally made her take out due to page count restrictions. Buy the newest version. You'll get the full story the way PC intended for it to be published. :)

message 17: by ♥ℳelody (new) - added it

♥ℳelody Thanks Kristen! So the newest version would be with the new cover right? Great review by the way! :)

Kristen Yes! :)

Monique ~ Sinfully Lovely Kristen <3

Kristen Thank you, Monique. <3

message 21: by ♥ℳelody (new) - added it

♥ℳelody Planning on buying this on Amazon. It's only featuring the book with the old cover. Like the one above^^ Not sure which issue I'm getting.

Kristen Hi Melody. The cover featured on Amazon is the right one. Here's the link. Enjoy.

message 23: by ♥ℳelody (new) - added it

♥ℳelody Yeah I found it Kristen after asking you. lol For some reason when I typed in the book title it only showed the book with the old cover. I had to search it under the author's name. Silly Amazon.

Thanks anyways!

Kristen Lol. You're welcome.

Jennifer Lane Great review, Kristen! I think I've read just about every Pamela Clare book by now, and I can't get enough of her writing. I agree that Jamie's regret about Nicholas (which I don't feel so bad about now that I've finished Ride the Fire, yay!) made the story even better. The research seems top-notch and it was interesting to learn about Ireland at that time.

Kristen Thank you so much, Jennifer. I adore Pamela Clare's historical romances. Her research is always top-notch and she has a way of breathing life into her stories and characters that impacts the readers.

I read the first book in her I-Team series back in 2011. Romantic suspense isn't my favorite sub-genre so I haven't finished the rest of the series. Time has a way of changing what we enjoy reading so I'm hoping to give the series another try. I hear the narrator for the audio books is fantastic. :)

Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️ Wonderful review Kristen!! ❤️

Kristen Thank you so much, Dorsey! ❤️

Jennifer Lane Kristen, I haven't heard the I-Team audio books but I devoured the ebooks and it's one of my favorite series (of course, I love romantic suspense). Book three Unlawful Contact was my favorite because it has a HAWT prisoner! I read her romantic suspense first then moved onto the historicals, and it's hard to decide which I like better. I hope you enjoy them for your second try! I have heard some readers say they didn't like the first book as much as the rest.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Awesome review, Kristen!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Well said Kristen! I enjoyed this book too, though if I'm being honest with myself, this series is my least favorite. I mean, how can they compare to the hotties in her romantic suspense series? ;)

message 32: by Didi (new)

Didi Lovely review Kristen <3

Kristen Lisa wrote: "Awesome review, Kristen!"

Thank you so much, Lisa! xo

message 34: by Kristen (last edited Feb 10, 2015 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Well said Kristen! I enjoyed this book too, though if I'm being honest with myself, this series is my least favorite. I mean, how can they compare to the hotties in her romantic suspense series? ;)"

Thank you, Feifei. I prefer her historical romances to her romantic suspense books. I'm not a huge romantic suspense reader though. I didn't really care for the first book in her I-Team series but I hear the books get better. I figured I'd give the series another try. Plus, everyone raves about how fabulous the audio books are. <3

Kristen Didi wrote: "Lovely review Kristen <3"

Thank you so much, Didi. xo

Kristen Jennifer wrote: "Kristen, I haven't heard the I-Team audio books but I devoured the ebooks and it's one of my favorite series (of course, I love romantic suspense). Book three Unlawful Contact was my..."

Karla said book three was her favorite in the series, too. It must be a great book. I really need to give the series another try. :)

Jennifer Lane Karla has excellent taste hehe.

Kristen True. Lol.