Mandi Schreiner's Reviews > One Grave at a Time

One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost

Aug 29, 11

bookshelves: pnr
Read from August 14 to 15, 2011

One Grave at a Time is book six in one of my favorite paranormal series. What I love is that Jeaniene Frost has given us a series where the hero and heroine has had a very strong relationship since book one. Okay, maybe they had some time apart between book one and book two (four years, but who is counting?) but for the most part these two have been a couple. They have had their ups and their very big downs, but Jeaniene Frost has made their relationship fresh and engaging in each book. She has shown that six books into a series, you can still be rooting for a couple and it doesn’t get old. Of course, they are extremely hot together, and as individuals really fun characters.

Cat’s good ghost buddy, Fabian has learned of some disturbing news. Fabian’s ghost crush, Elisabeth tells them that centuries ago, Heinrich Kramer was a witch hunter now turned ghost. And every October 31st, he is able to manifest a solid, physical form, where he rapes and tortures three women before burning them at the stake. Elisabeth, having known Heinrich all those years ago, has been pursuing him ever since. But trying to kill a ghost, when you are a ghost yourself is not an easy thing to do. So Elisabeth pleads to Bones and Cat for their help.

Cat still has some residual magic that lets her call to ghosts after drinking the voodoo queen of New Orleans blood recently. This power lure ghosts to her and she also can strip their free will – something she will gladly do to Kramer. But once they meet Kramer, they realize they are up against an extremely violent threat. Kramer can throw physical objects at them with extreme force, yet he can’t be grasped because he isn’t quite in a physical form. But they refuse to let him win and continue to harm more women, so with the help of some old and new friends, they pursue him.

One Grave at a Time presents a very evil villain. One that just keeps coming, and coming. He never gives up and really gives Cat, Bones and friends a run for their lives. They are truly stumped as to how to either kill or permanently trap this ghost. In terms of villains in this series, he definitely tops the list.

Bones and Cat are now in a point in their relationship where they will only move forward. They are past the trust issues and all the messy stuff. Last book they both really started to appreciate what they have, and even though they are immortal, there are still ways one of them could die. They lead very dangerous lives. They recognize the fact that what they have is so, so good – and they are going to live each day remembering this. Even in this book, Bones reminds Cat that although he would love to track Kramer down and give him his due, they might fail. They might never catch up with him or out maneuver him. And that is okay. Living an immortal existence, Bones doesn’t want to spend the next 100 years chasing this hard to catch ghost. You don’t hear the big alpha in urban fantasy books talk about failure much and I really like that Bones is going into this dilemma with that on his mind.

While they have some intimate moments in this book, we only get one sex scene. I kind of wish there had been at least one more, What? I’m a Bones hussy. He is such an awesome hero – I wanted to see him naked more. I’m not ashamed! Plus the sex scene we get is a little…crazy. I wanted to see them in a more intimate setting.

The plot in this one is okay. I did love the villain, but at the same time it just wasn’t my favorite storyline. While I definitely recommend this book, I never had any “OMG this is so good” moments while reading it. I guess on the other hand I wasn’t disappointed. It’s good, just not my favorite of the series. But I love these characters so much and this book is fun.

While we miss Vlad and Mencheres in this one (and only get a tiny bit of Tate who is a favorite of mine!) we do get a good bit from Ian. We also meet a new character Tyler, who is a medium who helps out Cat and Bones. He also is very much attracted to Ian

******
“Tyler, meet Ian,” I said without bothering to turn around.

“Daddy like,” Tyler breathed.

He straightened his shoulders, fixing his most winning smile on his face as he all but pushed me out of the way. The jostling turned me enough to get a view of the other vampire. ian leaned against the doorframe, his auburn hair rustling in the breeze and turquoise eyes watching everything with his unusal devilishness.

“I thought Bones looked like a little slice of heaven, but you’re the whole cake, aren’t you sugar?”
********

Tyler might not be my favorite character, but he has a few cute lines. We also meet Jason Madigan, who is now in control at the secret Homeland Security that keeps the public safe from supernatural threats. While Cat’s uncle Don used to run that operation, he is now a ghost and Tate was suppose to have taken over. Let’s just say tensions run very high with Jason. He doesn’t like Cat or Bones, nor Tate, and Don (who is still with us in ghost form) seems to be keeping secrets. Very interested to see how this all plays out in future books.

Rating: B, maybe B-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Grave at a Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nicole ooh we must gab when you're done *G*

Mandi Schreiner Yes! We will chat. I see your rating. *grins*

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I really hope to see 5 stars here when you are done! I want this book to be so good!

Mandi Schreiner On pg 50...so far so good! ;)

MsMiz (Tina) Really hope you love this. I am so excited!

Katie(babs) Next book, a combo of Ch 32 and Ch 21 to make up for lack of Bonescat smut.

Mandi Schreiner WHERE they have sex is CRAZY though. Oh yes

Katie(babs) Mandi wrote: "WHERE they have sex is CRAZY though. Oh yes"

Nothing beats the floating underground Disney cavern sex.

Mandi Schreiner I don't know...this is pretty crazy........

message 10: by Cari (new) - added it

Cari Quinn Yay! Any Ian action? I'm a hardcore Ian fangirl.

Mandi Schreiner Ian has some great lines!!

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen True love scenes?? Oh that is awesome. I can't wait to read this. They have come a long way and it makes me happy!