Christy B's Reviews > The Second Duchess

The Second Duchess by Elizabeth Loupas

1204629
Aug 17, 11

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, italy, mystery
Read from August 14 to 17, 2011

3.5

I very much enjoyed this book. The mystery element more than anything. Barbara of Austria, Alfonso d'Este's second duchess, sets out to find out how the first duchess - Lucrezia de' Medici - met her demise.

At the end of each chapter, we heard from Lucreiza, who was floating about watching everything. I didn't care much for these parts. She really didn't need to be there explaining everything, mostly because everything she did say came to light later on.

Didn't see the ending coming at all, which of course, makes for a good mystery.

I read this after reading His Last Duchess by Gabrielle Kimm, which is about Lucrezia specifically. It was interesting to see the two authors' takes on what kind of person she was, what a difference! And they also presented two different theories of how she died, both interesting.

I look forward to reading more of this author's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Second Duchess.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I've been eying this one for awhile. I'm anxious to hear what you think about it.

Laura I am SO eager to read both this & "His Last Duchess"by Gabrielle Kimm. Once again, I really appreciated your reviews, Christy. It's good to hear that the authors of these two books treated the story...AND the ENDING very differently. :)